( chapter five )

( PARKS AND RECREATION )

WHEN CHERRY'S HALF-BROTHER CALLED HER AND TOLD HER THAT HIM AND HIS FAMILY WERE IN MALIBU, CHERRY HAD NEVER BEEN MORE GLAD THAT SHE HAD THE DAY OFF. She had been basically ready to lounge around her apartment all day with Scottie, her jeans old and well worn, her t-shirt comfy. But, with John's call, she was more than happy to slip on a pair of sneakers and meet him at the diner before heading to the park. Since they didn't see each other often because of work schedules and Vivian (Cherry's niece) school, it was a rare treat when Cherry could either pop in to see the family of three, or have them visit. 

What Cherry wasn't expecting was to open her apartment door after petting Scottie goodbye to see Tony stood on just the other side, hand raised to knock. They stared at each other, Cherry with her key in hand and purse over her shoulder, Tony in some nice jeans, nice shirt, and a sports jacket. His eyes scanned over her person, before he was dropping his still-raised hand, "If this is a bad time, I can come back." 

That's when Cherry noticed the drink tray in his other hand, the Starbucks logo clear against the white cup and the aroma of coffee distracting. As much as Cherry had had her morning cup of coffee, she would never say no to more. And, plus, she liked spending time with Tony. "Uh- My brother is in town and I'm going to spend time with him. You're more than welcome to come, Tony," Cherry watched Tony open his mouth to probably protest, so she gave him a reassuring smile, put her hand on his arm a told him seriously, "You wouldn't be imposing, I promise." 

Tony opened his mouth again, before he shut it and then was just nodding his head in agreement to come. Cherry gave him a beaming smile before she was taking the Starbucks up that didn't say black on it and was chucking the drink tray into her home where she's sure Scottie will tear it up before locking her door behind them. Cherry lead Tony out of her building before she was starting the twenty minute walk to the diner that she knew John, his wife Anne, and Vivian were. Tony and her made small talk as they walked, Cherry glad that the paparazzi seemed to be taking a day off because no camera flashes where blinding her. 

Upon entering the diner, a small shriek of happiness flooded the silence and then Vivian was rushing over to her with a yelled, "Auntie Cherry!" When she was close enough, Vivian threw herself into Cherry's arms, the woman bracing herself and picking the girl up in a tight hug. Vivian looked at Tony in curiosity when she was done squeezing the air out of Cherry, looking between the blonde and Tony before he took up her complete focus. Cherry watched Tony give her a small wave, which spurred Vivian on and she reached out for him. Tony's eyes widened but didn't decline when Cherry couldn't control Vivian's weight and was pushing herself into Tony's arms. "Hi, I'm Vivian, I'm five. Who are you?" 

"Tony Stark," Tony told her after a pause, in which Cherry started to lead them to a booth that John and Anne were occupying. Vivian squirmed from Tony's hold when they had arrived, climbing onto the bench where her drink was positioned. Cherry climbed into the opposite bench, smiling at her half-brother and his wife.