Chapter 44: The Air I Breathe

Penny let out a huff of breath, slowing her pace from a brisk jog to a walk. She'd kept up with the man at her side for as long as she could, but she thought her lungs might explode if she tried to run a single step further along the stone-paved paths of Battery Park.

She held up a hand to signal to him, and she watched in relief as David slowed down beside her. Her breath was coming in short, loud gasps, but he'd barely even broken a sweat. He pulled up now and took the hand she held up to him, lacing his fingers through hers.

He didn't stop completely, but she thought she could manage to keep up with his slow saunter. They strolled slowly side-by-side, and she glanced up at his face after a moment. She expected him to tease her about her tortured breathing, but he didn't seem to notice. His eyes were somewhere far away, looking off across the water of the New York City Harbor.

He'd tensed up before, when she first led him into the park and he realized where he was. He'd stood there, paralyzed, and she'd held her breath as she waited to see how he would react.

"I'll be right here next to you," she had promised, and he seemed to accept her words. He'd merely nodded in acquiescence and then took off running again. She'd let him set the pace, and his tension had seemed to melt away as he relaxed into the rhythm of the run. But she worried now that his fears might be catching up with him again. She peered into his face, trying to read his expression. "Are you OK?" she asked.

"I'm good," he replied, giving her hand a squeeze. Then he turned his head to look at her and broke into a smile that brought out the crinkles at the corners of his eyes. "Good," he said, nodding firmly. "It feels really good to be back here."

She smiled, wanting desperately to gloat: "See, I told you so!" But she was panting too hard to form the words.

His smile deepened further as he took in her distress. "Are you OK, Penny?"

She could only nod. She pulled to a complete stop for a moment and rested both hands on her hips, struggling to bring more air into her lungs.

"Am I gonna need to do CPR?" he asked.

"Maybe," she managed to pant. "Do you know CPR?"

He shrugged. "I'm pretty good at the mouth-to-mouth part."

She could only grimace in response. He took her hand again and gave it a tug forward. "Come on," he said. "Keep walking or your muscles will cramp."

She glared back, but she allowed him to pull her along the path beside him.

"You're so out of shape!" he crowed, when she'd finally caught her breath enough to carry on a conversation.

"Couldn't afford the gym membership."

He shook his head in disapproval. "No excuses, Penny. Fitness means discipline. Rain or shine. Sick or-"

"Yeah, yeah. Sick or healthy. Blah blah blah." She stuck her tongue out at him. "Sorry if I decided to make my first priority food and shelter."

"Sure. Food and shelter." He nodded, the corners of his mouth still vibrating with barely suppressed laughter. "Right after your annual contribution to the Anonymous Treadmills For Millionaires Fund?"

She bit her lip. "You needed a treadmill," she said, trying and failing to keep a straight face. "It seemed like a good idea at the time."

David gave her hand another squeeze. "It was a terrible idea," he replied. He let go of her hand and slipped an arm around her shoulders, pulling her closer. "But it probably saved my life," he added with a begrudging smile. "So thank you."