一 05

Johnny sighed, running his fingers through his black hair, tugging at the roots frustratedly as he entered the large building, heading up to the third floor.

The winding staircases sickened him, every step of his boots against the carpeted tiles bringing a flood of memories he didn't want to see. But he was the best deceiver of their team, and he was under strict orders from Taeyong and Mark.

Clenching his fist, he knocked on the door of the King's private chambers, a fond smile forming on his face when the door was answered by Jaemin, the youngest son of the King, and currently, the only one Johnny actually liked.

"He's out on the balcony." Jaemin said, glancing worriedly in the said direction. "He is refusing to come in and take his medicines." Despite the intense dislike Johnny had for the man being spoken about, he gave Jaemin a reassuring nod, ruffling the younger's hair. "I'll convince him."

"Thank you so much." Jaemin gave him a bright smile, looking very relieved. With that, the young heir exited the room, Johnny's eyes following him as his figure slumped down with tiredness, making his way down the corridor to his room. Johnny sighed, before entering the room and shutting the door behind him.

True to Jaemin's word, the old King sat on a chair on the balcony, the transparent glass doors clearly showing the whole city of Limitless, shadows being cast on the ground because of the tall buildings.

"Sir." Johnny said, opening the door and walking out, standing beside the old man. The man turned to Johnny, hazy eyes focusing on him, before a brilliant smile illuminated his features. "Johnny Seo, just the man I wanted to talk to." He said.

Johnny shivered slightly, blinking at the King in confusion. No one could deny the King had aged well, his regal looks still retained although every day was one more closer to death.

"Do you know the history of Limitless, Mr. Seo?" The King asked, his eyes holding a maniacal sparkle as he looked out, observing the city that he had worked so hard to create.

"Yes, sir." Johnny said, going through this routine everyday. "We built this city from scratch, you know." The King said, seemingly not having heard him. "My friends and I, we planned out the whole layout, how the society would be constructed, how everyone in the hierarchy would be equal. Limitless was meant to be the capital for the new world, the beginning of a new era."

The King turned to Johnny, happiness in every aging wrinkle on his face, before a frown replaced it. "We built it. We were the kings of everything. We made ourselves the ruling monarchs. But they didn't understand what I wanted."

Johnny remained silent, staring unblinkingly at the King, who continued on. "If we could evolve our cities, make our system perfect, why couldn't we evolve humans? Make ourselves perfect?"

He looked up the sky. "They tried to stop me from trying. They had to go. But they'll be meeting me soon, won't they?" "I think you need to come in now, sir." Johnny said quietly, clenching his fist tightly. The King turned his gaze on him once again, the sparkle gone, eyes now filled with regret.

"My first son died." The King said. Johnny bit the inside of his cheek, anger beginning to bubble in the pits of his stomach.

He hated this senile fool who ruled and destroyed millions of people. He hated how the King had ruined his life, ruined his friends lives, ruined everything, because of his obsession. But he kept quiet, watching as tears began forming at the corners of his eyes. "He ran away, and his body was found in the woods. Mutilated." The King said.

"And my daughter..." He trailed off, eyes drifting down to his own, veiny and withered hands. "She failed me." He whispered. "They both couldn't be perfect. Jaemin is my only hope now." He looked up at Johnny, blinking.