一 19

The rippling waves of insecurity burst in her chest, flooding ever sense as her eyes moved over the mirror.

A queen? No.

A joke.

That was all she was, that was all she'd be. Someone who was cowardly, scared of what she'd see. Someone who was raised to stand on a platform and wrap entire bustling crowds around her finger now felt like she was the one who was being trampled under their feet.

Her hands were trembling as she forced herself to look away, taking a seat on the bed. Her fingers lightly brushed over the satin dress that Taeyong had pulled out mysteriously from the depths of no where, instructing her to wear it tomorrow. A disguise, he told her.

Limitless was the city of perfection, unrestricted and flourishing. Nothing could ever go wrong within its boundaries, and that was the pristine image and reputation the King's Court aimed to keep up. Hers, Mark's and Lucas' faces would not be plastered across buildings, because that would let the upper classes know that their supposedly flawless security had failed them.

But nevertheless, Taeyong warned her, the place would be crawling with guards on the lookout for them.

They were playing to the same strategy Taeyong and Johnny used to infiltrate the Palace- don't look out of place, and you'd be able to get away being the wolf in sheep's clothing.

Neo City would be a little more dangerous for her to enter, depending on which part of the city she entered.

The ex capital housed the men and women from the upper, middle and lower classes alike, although most of the wealthy residents lived in the capital, with all its big companies and flashy offices.

Neo City was subject to the most riots led by peasants and labourers, demanding the King's attention to give equal resources them all, or so she was told.

She shook her head, refocusing on the dress, with its viridescent hues that shifted in the soft glowing light of the bedside lamp. Perhaps it would've been something she wore when she was still the princess.

The image of her, standing in that dress with tumbling dark locks cascading over her bare shoulders, a well mannered smile on her face with Johnny and Jaemin by her side, decked in green velvet suits. She cracked a smile at the image- it would've been a sight to see.

The smile slowly slid off when she raised her eyes to the mirror, hair choppy and short, wearing old clothes anything but amusement twinkling in her eyes. How far from the image of a princess could she even be?

She was shaken from her thoughts when Lucas poked his head into her room.

Misery, in her opinion, was like a curious child - incessantly following her every where she went, managing to squeeze itself into every part of her life and stare at her with big large eyes glimmering with wonder.

But she was tempted to change that analogy, because at that moment, Lucas, with dark circles prominent under his eyes and lips pulled down into a frown looked like the epitome of the emotion.

Despite that, he gave her a smile, gesturing wordlessly to the bed she sat on. She automatically shifted to the side, making enough space for him to comfortably settle his broad frame onto the plush mattress.

"Good morning." His voice was low and hoarse, making her wince at how beaten up he sounded.

"I just wanted to check up on you." He said, fidgeting slightly. She scoffed lightly at that, giving him a pointed look as she gestured to the mirror. He glanced at his own reflection, a throaty chuckle erupting from his lips.