Chapter 1

When I entered the school, I noticed that not much had changed. I expected something but, nope. I mean, what did I expect? The halls were flooded with students just as I had remembered. I expected that to stay the same. I was doing just fine until I got tripped by someone I didn't recognize.

"Fresh meat!"

I wasn't fresh meat. I've lived here my whole life I just didn't go to school here for a year.

My phone dropped out of my sweaters pocket and the guy who tripped me grabbed it. "Give it back to me.." I spoke angrily yet still remained quiet. "As, he wants his phone back...how cute!" He spoke in an obnoxious tone. I don't even know this kid! What's his problem? "Mr. Denis, give him his phone back. Now." Wait- Denis? As in Jonathan Denis? As in Delirious? I should have recognized him by his voice but I couldn't since when I think of delirious, I think of the Jason mask he would wear but now he isn't wearing it.

"Seriously, Del? Stop being a dick." I looked up to see who was speaking now, the irish accent feeling familiar to me. Brian Hanby. The schools all star soccer player. "Let me help you, bud," he offered me a hand to take and I gladly accepted it. "What's your name?" He asked seemingly scanning my face. "Uhh- Jaren Smith but my friends call me Smitty." I chuckled awkwardly. I knew who Brian was but he had no idea who I was. He looked at me for a little while longer before something clicked in his mind, "aren't you that kid who can code extremely well?" "I am, actually." "I don't remember you being here last year..." "Yeah, I uh-" I cleared my throat. "I went to a technical school for Junior year but I ended up coming back here for Senior year." He nodded.

"Nice to have you back Smitty." He smiled at me. I had never spoken to Brian after this moment. Actually, I have never spoken to most of his friends. I've, of course, spoken to Craig and I've spoken to Lui here and there but I've never had a full on conversation with him.

"Have you received your schedule yet?" I shook my head. He smiled softly at me and motioned for me to follow him. I followed him and he led me to the office. "What do you need Brian?" The woman asked. "I need a Jared Smith's schedule-" "Jaren." I corrected. "Jaren Smith." The woman looked through her papers before handing me my schedule. "Have a good day boys!" The woman called out as we left the office.

"Now, we can go to the courtyard to see if we share any classes?" I nodded and followed him out into the courtyard.

The cliques all stood together and then I saw him.

My heart started racing, I could feel my face heat up, I felt like I couldn't speak.

"You alright there, Smitty?" I nodded, "yeah let's just- check our schedules.." Brian brought me to an empty table away from his friends as he checked both of our schedules. "We have 4 of our classes together and one of those classes is homeroom," he spoke happily. Brian was a cool guy. We spoke for a while longer before his friends approached us, Delirious nowhere to be seen.

"Yo, what's up?" Tyler asked. "Not much. You guys met Smitty?" Upon saying that, all of them looked to me.

"I- uh- hi."