Caught

Now my curiosity was piqued. I mean you cant really tell someone something like that and then expect them to let it go, I really wanted to know the reason now. I uncrossed my arms and put them on my hips,narrowing my eyes.

" Tell me", I demanded.

"Emma, please, leave it", he spoke, between batches of laughter," It's really embarrassing and unsuitable for a woman"

Lol, as if I was going to let this go after this!

" I am gonna walk away now, if you don't tell me", I threatened him, light-heartedly, tapping my foot slowly.

He sighed, laughing even more, and to my surprise buried his face in his hand, embarrassed. Boy, this was gonna be good. " Oh my days, well, Emma, I thought-", he started but then fell back a few steps, laughing and actually backing away from me!. "Just tell me, Rowan", I yelled, coming towards him as he backed away more.

" I thought-", he gulped a bit and smiled," I thought you were, well, I mean what was I supposed to think, a woman walking alone at night, and on top of that you had no wedding ring on-"

"Just TELL me, Rowan, for God's sake!", I yelled again, getting frustrated with this guy.

" I thought you were, well, one of those women", he confessed, cheekily.

" What women?", I probed, not getting it.

" Women of ill-fame, Emma...notorious women!", he exclaimed, mortified," don't make me say it, please, it's too unbecoming to say the word in front of a woman"

I mouth dropped open as I understood what he was insinuating. My cheeks burned with mortification and anger and I stepped forward and slapped him before he could move away. It was not that hard of a slap, but more of a chiding slap than a slap meant to hurt and he was not very surprised by it. A few people actually stopped and gasped at the scene, and I realized how bad it must look. A slightly older man actually came forward, frowning at Rowan,

" This man bothering you, ma'am?", he asked.

I shook my head," No, he is my brother", I replied to which Rowan mouthed Ouch and I glared at him," We were having an argument, I do apologize for making a scene, thank you",

The man nodded and walked away, still startled by the whole thing. People slowly dispersed after hearing my explanation, occasionally looking back.

Rowan smirked," that was quite a show". I put my finger up in a warning gesture," Don't even", I fumed," I don't know how I could even stand here after your vile words!. How could you even think that?",

" Hear me out, Emma, you are new in London that is why you don't get it. Almost no decent women walk here alone after the dark , if they are not well, working women", he explained, emphasising suggestively at 'working'. " On top of that I noticed you were not even wearing a wedding ring, even though you had a headdress on. What was I supposed to think?. But the minute I realized you were a decent woman, I regretted it. I am sorry, Emma, I really am", he apologized, sincerely from what I could make out.

My lips went into a thin line and I said nothing,crossing my arms over my chest, scowling. He looked at me with pleading eyes. I reluctantly dropped my scowl, he was my only chance at finding Amelia and Barrett. Whatever, I guess I can let this one slide. I sighed.

"Fine!", I exclaimed, vexed. His face lit up," but nothing of this sort should ever happen again", I warned.

He nodded enthusiastically, grinning," You can be sure it won't, Emma"

I looked around, we had walked quite far from the parlour. " We are quite far from the parlour", I commented," I hope you know your way back"

He smiled and gave me a look of assurance," I do", he said," Shall we walk back to it?"