Capitulum IV

It was about two hours after our first encounter, and I was just stuck watching Killua as he did his homework.

I had insisted on trying to figure out just what kind of ambition or want that he had, but he insisted on doing it later, saying, "I'd rather be stuck with the devil than have the parents up my ass." His usage of words left little to the imagination and we were already off to a rocky start, so I decided to let him do what he needed to.

Once this is over, it'd be over. That's all I really want.

I watched him walk, and started to think about what could be his possible thing that bonds us. I had earlier ruled out wanting wealth and power because he already has that stuff. That much is obvious. He doesn't seem to be concerned with how he looks because he dresses like he doesn't give a shit and he has enough money to ever possibly give a shit. So, wanting looks is out.

This is where things get hard. Most people who summon the devil have a materialistic value that they want. These are the easier ones to figure out because they have a physical form, but nearly all other wants or deep desires don't come in any form you can tangibly touch. That's where the 'interview' comes in handy.

But I can't ask him anything, because he's been doing homework forever, and he won't stop.

"Do you ever do anything but study?" I asked, putting down the book I had been reading and lolling my head backward.

Killua seemed to jump a bit, obviously forgetting that I had been there. After recovering a bit, he glanced over at me, before returning to his work. "Not really. But this is what it takes to stay at the top of the class."

I frowned at that, but then my senses tingled and I found an inkling to what could be his innermost desire. "So, pretty boring life, I'm assuming. Just studying and hiding from your parents for privacy. You probably want to go out with your friends and party and do that teenager shit. Right?"

Killua bit into his bottom lip, eyebrows scrunching up, his nose following closely behind. His face was one that depicted complete distaste with an underlying sadness to it before a soft hum resonated from his mouth.

"I don't like parties or anything. I'm content with not being outside and stuff. I enjoy reading and studying," Killua whispered in reply, but he had completely stopped writing as if really thinking about his answer.

"I see. An introvert, that makes sense, but you probably still want to go out and see your friends." Standing up, I moved so that I was in front of him, looking at him watching his expression with more interest than before.

That seemed to strike a nerve because he glared up at me and set his book to the side. "No, I actually don't. And that's mainly because I don't have any friends — and I don't need them."

Now, this struck me as odd, but I didn't try to think of it too much, but it was definitely a clue to what he'd need from me. "Are you done now?" I asked whilst changing the subject. "Can I ask you questions?"

"What if I say no?" He quipped, stretching before standing up and walking towards the attic exit.

"I'll just bug you more," I responded, feeling the need to stick my tongue out at him, but I repressed it because I'm a king and better than that.

He shrugged and then moved the panel, dropping down to the level below gracefully, landing without a sound. I followed quickly behind because this was not a conversation that he could just get out of.

Sparing me one glance, he raised an eyebrow as we walked into his room, and a few things seemed to settle when I went in there. The first thing was that he really like cold colors, like blue and purples, because they were the only colors against the many shades of white and black. The last thing that I noticed was just how barren his room was. The room only had a singular king sized bed right in the middle — a large desk with a huge monitor and slick keyboard sitting on top — and it was centered right underneath the large window that appeared out over the town. It looked like those typical magazine bedrooms and was so blank of any personality. There was no evidence that anyone lived within the room, and it sort of struck a chord with me... but he was still super annoying.