☉02: The Boy Named Thomas

⫸ Connection: The Maze Runner ⫷

「 Chapter 2: The Boy Named Thomas 」

At night time, everyone stood around a pile of wood and bits of hay that was shaped into some sort of scarecrow or figure. The top of it included the rotting bones of a dead goat they had feasted on a long time ago. It was quiet for a while. All the Gladers patiently anticipating the signal from their leader to begin the bonfire.

"Light him up!"

With a round of cheers and hoots, the Keepers threw their lit torches on the pile of wood and the cheers grew louder as the pile burned a bright light that lit up the center of their home. Everyone continued to holler and cheer, chanting "Gladers" happily as the bonfire had officially begun.

Music had played by some of the boys using buckets, sticks and containers. Gally and the rest of the boys were wrestling, the others simply interacting with each other and had fun. In all fairness, this was the only night of every month when Alby would let them all go wild.

Lia grinned happily at the sight of everyone enjoying themselves, it was a stressful day for everybody. She was feeling better after a trip to the Med-jacks who patched up her cut and a quick cat nap in their hut's medical beds. Minho was worried for her but Lia simply shrugged him off, saying it was merely just a cut.

The blonde girl sat with Minho and the rest of the Runners. On her hand, she held a jar of Gally's secret recipe moonshine that tasted like klunk yet oddly satisfying at the same time. They all laughed at one of Ben's jokes, Lia resting her arm on Minho's shoulder for support.

Her light blue irises landed on the other side of the party. The Greenie sat beside Newt, both of them resting against a log, isolated from everyone else. She watched them converse but not exactly hearing the conversation due to the distance. Lia saw Newt hand over a jar of Gally's moonshine, laughing to herself at the sight of the Greenie immediately spitting out the amber liquid. It was an acquired taste.

"Greenie catch your interest?" Minho snaps the girl out of her observation. She turned to the smirking Keeper and was quick to nudge his shoulder.

"Shut up, shank." Lia mutters. "He's just strange."

"Strange enough for you to give him dreamy eyes?" The Runner teased.

"I was not giving him dreamy eyes." Lia protested, throwing bits of her rice at Minho causing the two of them to laugh at each other.

In the meantime, The Greenie continued to spit and cough out the remaining taste of the moonshine he was just given out of his mouth.

"Oh my God...What is that?" He coughed once more, handing back the jar.

"I don't even know." Newt chuckled, staring at the liquid inside the jar. The brit tilted his body to point at the Keeper of the Builders who was occupied with his match. "It's Gally's recipe. It's a trade secret."