☉06: The Last One Ever

⫸ Connection: The Maze Runner ⫷

「 Chapter 6: The Last One Ever 」

It wasn't common for the Second in Command to keep his hopes up when it came to people surviving a night in the maze or from being stung. He had to show an example that hoping too much would lead to more heartbreak. But that didn't mean he didn't believe in his friends. There was a part of him that told him to have faith in them. In Minho. In Lia. 

They all slept by the doors that night. Waiting to see if their four friends inside the Maze would return. The rumbling of the doors woke them up, lifting themselves off the ground to look inside the Maze.

Chuck kept his hopes up. He always did when it came to Lia. She promised him she'd go back to him. Always. 

"I told you, Chuck." Newt whispered. His eyes looking at the empty space, sadly. "They're not coming back."

"But Lia said she'd always come back." The young boy protested. 

Everyone else wasn't as hopeful as Chuck. All of them beginning to fall back to get started on their jobs, doing their best to forget about the four. Newt sniffled quietly at the loss of his closest friends.

"No way." Zart exclaimed, staring at the far end. He pointed at the figures who made their way towards The Glade, catching everyone's attention.

Lia limped in exhaustion after having to take turns with carrying Alby. Her breathing was heavy as she walked beside Thomas and Minho, who were grunting at the weight of the leader. Lia's smile didn't leave her face once she saw the faces of the boys.

"Yes! Yeah!" Chuck cheered, knowing he was right to believe in them.

The rest of the gladers smiled and ran back towards them, glad to see them all. Reuniting with the boys, Thomas and Minho gently laid Alby down to get checked by the med-jacks. Lia was glad they managed through a night without any injuries although the three did have minor cuts and bruises. Most of them on the girl's legs since she wore shorts. 

The three continued to pant, sighing in relief knowing they would be able to relax now. Lia grunted at the sudden impact of Chuck bumping into her, giving her a warm hug. She only laughed, ruffling his light brown curls.

"I missed you too, Chuckie."

Once he pulled back, Newt walked over to her. His mouth agape, shocked  and happy that they survived.

"You came back." He breathed, his eyes on Lia. The girl grinned as she felt the brit's arms around her in a tight embrace. The boys patted Thomas's back causing a smile to form on the newbie's face. His gaze landed on the two blondes not far from him, feeling the same stir in his stomach.