xii.

[ PHONE CALLS AND CONFESSIONS ]

[ PHONE CALLS AND
CONFESSIONS ]

JENNIE SAW LISA'S NAME pop up on her phone screen. her mind went blank for a few seconds before finally moving her fingers to accept the call.

she shifted uncomfortably on her bed, "hello?" lisa's voice echoed.

jennie felt nervous and once again, her mind went blank. she never thought her little omegle fling would get this far. then again, she also never thought she'd be catfishing as her best friend.

hearing lisa's voice in real life made her realize that she was texting an actual person, and worse, she was lying to an actual person. but what really confused jennie was how her mind seemed to be more preoccupied on lisa's voice—or more specifically, how much she liked it.

"jennie i know you're there. your breathing isn't exactly . . . quiet." and a small laugh came after.

believe me, jennie really really wanted to hate lisa, she'd do anything to stay away from the thai in fear of going too far with her lie. but right now, she also really really wanted to set lisa's laugh as her ringtone.

the korean sat up and put her back against the headboard of her bed, "uh . . . yeah, hey."

"hey to you too."

"so, um—why," jennie cleared her throat, "why'd you want to call me?"

"no reason, lately i've just been wondering what your voice sounded like—your voice is nicer than i expected by the way." lisa smiled, jennie couldn't see it but with the way the latter spoke she felt like the thai was smiling.

"oh," jennie paused, taken aback by the sudden compliment, "you too."

lisa laughed, "you're more passive in call, i expected you to be screaming at me to hang up." there goes that laugh again. jennie had only heard lisa's laugh twice but it was already climbing up the leaderboard of her favorite sounds, but of course the korean would heavily deny that.

"you have a very . . . baby-ish voice." jennie suddenly uttered. she had just compared a 21 year old woman's voice to a baby, whether she meant it as a compliment or an insult is up to you.

lisa deepened her voice, "no i don't," she husked.

this time a laugh came out of jennie. now, if it was possible to transform all the beautiful things in the world into audio form, it would definitely be jennie's laugh. or at least in lisa's world.