Chapter 17

“What do you mean heir?” He hissed at Sherlock.
“The Chamber of Secrets!” Sherlock said happily.
“This couldn’t wait until morning?” John complained. Sherlock looked confused.
“What is going on?!” Mike complained.
“Nothing!” Sherlock groaned.
“Sherlock, please, go back to bed, we can talk about this tomorrow morning, I was fast asleep and I’m not in the mood to think right now.” John complained. Sherlock, on the other hand, looked wide awake, and disappointed that John didn’t find his information as interesting as he did.
“But John, I solved it, it’s Snape.” He said, sounding hurt. John groaned, if anything could make him crawl out of bed at one in the morning it was Sherlock making him feel guilty.
“Let’s go in the common room, get Mike and Greg, they’ll kill me.” Sherlock said, louder now.
“Shush, people were trying to sleep.” John pointed out, sliding out of bed. Sherlock crept silently down the steps while John tried to get Greg and Mike. After a lot of silent arguing, they sat in the armchairs and looked up at Sherlock with annoyance. The common room was dark, the only light was the crackling fire, and no one else was here, of course.
“What exactly is so important?” Mike asked, yawning.
“I figured out who the heir had to be, it’s Snape!” Sherlock said excitedly.
“My brain is still in sleep mode, please explain.” Greg complained.
“He’s head of Slytherin house, he is well over fifty, and think about it, the girl was one of the girls who asked me out, and he was mad at us that day, so he’s trying to frame one of us, obviously.” Sherlock said.
“How would that frame one of us?” John asked, even though it made sense.
“If he keeps going after our enemies then eventually one of these brainless people has to consider me or you, and then Dumbledore will expel us and Snape would have his classroom back.” Sherlock said obviously.
“You think a teacher would kill students?” Greg asked.
“No, that’s why she was only paralyzed, because as heartless as Snape is, he wouldn’t kill people just to get back at us.”
“But we’re Muggle born, how would they suspect us?”
“I don’t know how many people know that, you can’t kill an idea, especially if everything but one thing makes sense.” Sherlock said, his eyes alight with discovery.
“What was the purpose of getting us up at one in the morning?” Mike complained.
“So I could tell you.” Sherlock said obviously.
“Why couldn’t it wait?” Mike groaned.
“It was bugging me to death, I couldn’t sleep, I thought you’d be the same way.”
“How’d you even get in?”
“I’m a professor.”
“I know, but the fat lady wouldn’t let you in!” Mike defended. Sherlock just looked at him with confusion.
“Well, now we know, can we please go back to sleep now?” Greg complained.
“I guess I’ll see you at breakfast then.” Sherlock muttered, looking disappointed. He must have expected a parade or something, but John couldn’t bear him looking sad.
“Sherlock, good job, figuring that out, I never could’ve, and now we know what’s going on.” John said. Sherlock smiled at him, and John decided it was worth getting up at one in the morning to see that beautiful smile again.
“Good night John.” Sherlock said, nodding to the others.
“Good night Sherlock.” John agreed. He made sure the portrait hole shut before he went back up the steps to the dormitories.
“What was that all about?” Rory asked, his wand still lit.
“Nothing, go back to bed.” Greg muttered, yawning. Rory rolled his eyes, but the light went out. John felt so happy to be back under his soft sheets, warm and inviting. His pillow seemed softer and sleep came quick.

                The next morning the sun was bright, shining through the windows and marking the last day of the weekend. John groaned, he had History of Magic homework, which he would have to do today. He lay in bed and theorized Sherlock’s theory, Snape being the heir of Slytherin? It made sense, of course it did, Sherlock found out the motives and what was going on, John just wondered what monster it was. The other boys were starting to wake up too. It was late in the morning, John could tell that much, they had all slept in probably because of the night time visitor. John hoped he hadn’t hurt Sherlock when he punched him, but he seemed pretty okay when he was talking. There was a really annoying tapping on the window, but John ignored it, yawning peacefully and looking up at the ceiling. The tapping got louder, followed by hoots. It must be an owl with a letter to someone. He got out of bed, not nearly as miserable, and opened the window to see a sleek black owl perched on the window sill. On its leg, as expected, was a letter. John untied the letter and read who it was addressed to, and to his surprised his name was written in impossibly neat cursive, Sherlock. He opened it cautiously, half expecting it to be a howler, but the paper stayed quiet.
                John,
I am going to be doing a little research on Snape and the Chamber today. I am skipping breakfast so I don’t feel like going all the way to the Great Hall to tell you. I hope to find out his blood status and what type of monster lives in the Chamber. If I find all of this I might go looking for the Chamber, and I would be very relieved if you and your friends would join me just in case. I will be at the library.
                Love,
                Sherlock.