Chapter 19

When he went down to the Great Hall with his friends, he found that all of the students from quidditch tryouts were watching nervously. He looked at them with confusion, sitting down at the table and buttering a piece of toast. A fourth year he thought was named Amy came up to him nervously, he recognized her, she was the seeker that tried out.
“Did you make your decision yet?” She asked.
“I haven’t even made a list yet, I told you guys Saturday at the latest, and it will be posted.” John said, groaning. She scampered back over to the group, telling them what he has said.
“What do they expect you to be, a god?” Greg laughed.
“Apparently.” John sighed.
“Then you better hurry up!” Sara insisted.
“I’ll start tonight; I should be done by maybe Wednesday.” John said, knowing he had to be done by Wednesday, he couldn’t work Thursday and he would like to have the results posted by Friday.

                The days went by way too quickly, they contained nothing but boring classes and boring quidditch work. He always thought captain was a great thing, but it was so much more stressful than he could have imagined. On top of it he had homework, a lot of homework. After the first week the teachers stopped going easy on them, and with the NEWTS coming up they had to do a whole lot more work than usual. In the end the team stayed the same, he kept the good beater, Amy from breakfast, the other keeper, a seeker, and another chaser for extras, and the others were encouraged to practice for next year. The results hadn’t been posted yet, and the players were practically shaking with anticipation. John felt bad for having the same exact team, but he did what he had to do, he knew they would step up to the challenge of the Quidditch Cup. Thursday came much too quickly, the classes passing faster. They didn’t have potions that day, which was a shame; the other classes were boring too, except for Defense Against the Dark Arts which was exciting with Professor Tonks. John sat at the House table, trying to make up a lie, leaning towards telling the Hagrid had sent an owl and he had forgotten to come down today. He didn’t have much of an appetite, but he had to fill his stomach or the wolf would kill something to eat, like a deer or something, which was terrible. He had only made that mistake once, and the raw meat in his human body had made him throw up all day. He couldn’t go to the Hospital Wing because there was the occasional bone and piece of skin, and she’d be very curious, so he had stayed in the dorms, throwing up into the toilet.
“You better eat faster John.” Greg said. John looked up at him with a mix of surprise and fear, did he know?
“Why?” John asked nervously.
“Because, since it’s your first free day, we arranged for you to go visit Sherlock.” Sara said happily.
“What?!” John exclaimed. That was the absolute worst thing they could have done, trapped him with Sherlock when the moon rose, making him make an excuse to his face and run down to the forest. Maybe if he was close enough he might even attack Sherlock!
“Surprise! You two can have a nice romantic walk in the moonlight.” Mike joked. Oh, yay, a walk in the bloody moonlight, this is just great!
“I can’t.” John said quickly.
“Why not, you’re done with all of your work, done with your quidditch stuff; you two haven’t seen each other in a week except for in class, which shouldn’t count.
“I’m really tired from all that work, I’m sorry guys, but I should go to bed early.” John said.
“No way mate, sorry, but it’s already arranged, he’ll think you don’t want to spend time with him.”
“I want to, but this is a really bad night to spend time with someone.”
“It’s a perfect night, now come on, he’s expecting you soon, eat up!” Sara said, watching John shovel food in his mouth, as much as he could fit, if he ended up eating Sherlock he would kill himself. When his food was gone, to his horror, his friends led him down to the dungeons, happily encouraging him that everything would be fine. Nothing was going to fine; they had no idea that nothing was going to be fine. John planned on making this the shortest visit ever, maybe pretending to be sick or something, anything to get out of the forest. The dungeon seemed even colder than usual, the lights dimer, the shadows darker. When he knocked nervously on the door, it opened and Sherlock was sitting at his desk, having opened the door by magic.
“Hello John.” He said with a smile. Sherlock was wearing his purple shirt and coat again, and John felt out of place in his robes. He smiled nervously back at him.
“Hey Sherlock.” He muttered. He was terrified; the sunlight was already starting to fade in the little window.
“Anything wrong, you seem troubled?” Sherlock asked.
“I’m just not feeling very good.” John muttered, still standing in the doorway.
“That’s too bad. I haven’t seen you all week, how were tryouts?” Sherlock asked.
“They were fine, ya, the team was good.”
“Think you’re going to get the Quidditch Cup this year?” Sherlock asked.
“I hope so, it’s our last chance.” John said. Sherlock got up from his desk coming over to John, slowly but surely.
“Did you work out the team then?” he asked with another step.
“Ya, I’ll post it tomorrow.”
“I hope the people that didn’t make it don’t riot.” Sherlock joked, still coming closer. John felt like he needed to get out of here, fast, the sunlight was getting weaker; soon he’d be a beast. Now Sherlock was closer, the door behind John standing as a barrier between him and freedom.
“I doubt they’d riot, the Gryffindors are actually, really good people.” John said, pausing because he could now smell the Amortentia, he must have been a foot away now.
“You’re right, they are good people.” Sherlock agreed. John was now blushing, his stomach felt vacant even though he had just eaten half of the Great Hall. Sherlock was blushing too, but he stepped closer, the gap breaking. John looked up at him nervously, he had to leave, the moon must be almost out, and this wasn’t good, not at all. But the moment Sherlock actually kissed him all of his problems seemed to vanish, no more werewolf, no more quidditch pressure, just Sherlock here and now. No matter what he previously thought, the forbidden forest could wait; he wrapped his arms around Sherlock, forgetting completely about the wolf inside him. But then again, it couldn’t, the moon was out, the silver light flashing on the two, making John pull away from Sherlock, slamming into the door.
“John, what’s wrong?” Sherlock asked, his face
“Sherlock, get out of here!” John demanded, feeling his bones start to move. He tried his best not to cry out in pain, he could feel his skin getting tougher, his fingernails growing slowly into claws.
“John!” Sherlock cried, kneeling by side instead of running, which made John hate him at the moment.
“I’m a werewolf Sherlock, it’s a full moon!” John cried, his body racked with the familiar pain. He wanted to scream at him to run for his life, there was nothing he could do to stop this, and if he didn’t get out of there fast he’ll die. Sherlock didn’t look scared, as his family had been, he looked determined.
“I know just the thing, one second!” Sherlock cried, getting up and running into the back office. John fell to the ground, groaning with the pain, fur was growing now, his mouth extending into jaws, and finally, as always, he completely blacked out, giving the beast inside him full control over himself, his human self was gone for now, sleeping inside of a monster.