Part 32

They walked into the Entrance Hall, hand in hand, to find students walking to lunch in small packs. Some people gave them weird looks, a group of mean looking Slytherins started laughing a whispering, but John smiled at them, saying he doesn’t give a crap what they think about his amazing boyfriend. When they walked into the Great Hall though, they had to separate since Sherlock had to go up to the staff room.
“I’ll be back.” He assured with a kind smile. John hoped that was true, giving Sherlock’s hand a final squeeze before letting him leave for the staff table. John walked to the Gryffindor table to find his friends at their usual section, watching them.
“Well, how’d it go?” Sara asked immediately.
“Fine.” John said, sitting down in the empty space next to Greg.
“What’s in the bags?” Greg asked, trying to peek into them. John rolled the bags up so to not crush the merchandise inside, tucking them under the table.
“Nothing to concern you.” He said with a teasing smile.
“Yay presents!” Mike said excitedly. John rolled his eyes, picking a sandwich off of the platter.
“So what happened?” Sara asked, trying to ask casually but John could tell she was the opposite of casual.
“We bought presents for people, then we got a butterbeer, but that’s about it.” John admitted.
“I saw you two holding hands on the way in, I’m guessing I’m not the only one right?” Greg asked. John nodded, slowly starting to regret letting people see. His confidence had been fueled by Sherlock by his side, now John felt weak and defenseless.
“You shouldn’t have done that, people will start to talk, Dumbledore, or worse, could find out.” Mike warned.
“Snape…” Sara pointed out. John looked up at the Staff Table, where poor Sherlock was stuck sitting next to the creepy professor, who looked bitter.
“If he finds out I will throw myself off the astronomy tower.” John decided.
“Don’t do that.” Greg said quickly. John gave him a ‘of course I won’t’ glare, why would he give up a life with Sherlock for something so stupid?
“Oh, and guess what?” John exclaimed.
“What, what?!” Sara said, equally if not more enthusiastic.
“He said he would come to my house for Christmas if he was allowed!” John said happily.
“Are you serious?” Mike asked with awe.
“Do you think he’ll be allowed to come from your parents?” Greg asked.
“Sure, we’ve got an extra bedroom, and they love guests.” John shrugged.
“Awe, they finally get to meet their little Johnny’s boyfriend.” Sara said in a high pitched voice, like she was talking to a baby.
“Do they know about him yet?” Mike asked. John sighed; this was going to be a bit complicated.
“No, they don’t, but I’m sure they’ll like him right?”
“I hope so, because that would be a long way to travel just for him to get rejected.” Mike pointed out.
“He won’t get rejected, what’s not to like?” John asked.
“Well, if you were still in a muggle school, this whole relationship you’ve got would be frowned upon.” Greg pointed out.
“But, it’s not muggle school, and we have permission from McGonagall, remember?” John pointed out.
“Make sure you tell them that. Did they say if he could come yet?”
“They haven’t even clarified if I could come, but I’m sure it’s a yes.” John said with a smile. Mike and Sara suddenly went quiet and ate their food without saying anything more.
“What, do you have a…” John started.
“Hello John.” Sherlock said behind him. John turned around and smiled up at him.
“So, I hope your lunch was enjoyable.” Sherlock said. John looked down at his partially eaten sandwich, but had no intentions of eating it any more.
“I guess so.” John shrugged.
“I imagine you didn’t, with Snape sitting right next to you.” Mike laughed.
“He just ignores me, but I can tell he’s silently hating me.”
“Well that’s his fault.” John said simply.
“I’ve decided I want to find whoever cast that memory charm.” Sherlock said, catching John by surprise.
“Why the sudden change of heart?” John asked.
“Because I think he should pay for what he did.”
“As long as he doesn’t come back I’m fine with letting him go.” John shrugged.
“I’m not; I suffered as much if not more than you.” Sherlock pointed out. If he was trying to convince John to agree with him, it was working. John wanted revenge, anyone who hurt Sherlock deserved to pay, no one hurts his Sherlock without getting away with it.
“We have nothing to go on.” John pointed out.
“Of course we do, we just need to break into the Chamber again.” Sherlock said.
“I have no idea what this Chamber even is, so let’s go up to the common room, you guys can fill me in on every bloody thing I need to know, and then we can talk.” John decided. Sherlock groaned, as if he didn’t have time for such pointless things, but John still didn’t know what the Chamber is, and he didn’t want to be completely clueless.
“Fine, let’s go.” Sherlock said, and without waiting, he walked off to the Gryffindor common room. John gave his friends a quick glance before the four of them scrambled out of their seats to catch Sherlock. By the time they reached him, even though they had been jogging, he was already on the second flight of steps. When they got to the common room, it was mostly empty, a couple of annoyed looking students, bent over their homework, but that was it. They took that opportunity to take the armchairs in front of the fire, which made it a dramatic story time spot.
“Okay, tell me everything about the Chamber.” John said, getting right to the point. He sat in the middle armchair, Sherlock in the chair beside him, Mike on the other side with Sara sitting on the armrest, and Greg standing near the fire place.
“Back when this school was starting, the four founders worked in unison until Salazar Slytherin wanted to get rid of all of the muggleborn, thinking they were unfit to practice magic. Of course the other three didn’t agree, so they he left the school. Before he left he made a hidden Chamber somewhere in the school, where there is a monster waiting to finish his work of clearing the school of all muggleborn. Only when the true heir of Slytherin comes to Hogwarts can the Chamber be opened.” Sherlock said, sounding bored all through the story. John let that sink in for a moment, he had no trouble believing it, the world of magic was totally messed up.
“So the heir is the one that cast the memory charm?” John asked, piecing the story together.
“I think so, we just need to find the heir in the Chamber maybe.”
“But there’s a monster down there.” John pointed out.
“Well, there is, but it’s dead now.” Sherlock said.
“You killed it?” John asked with awe. Sherlock smiled at John, a knowing smile, though it was definitely adoring.
“No, you did.” Sherlock said with pride. John stared at him, wondering if he was lying. He could never kill a monster; he could barely swat a fly!
“What type of monster, a niffler?” John asked with doubt.
“No actually, a basilisk.” Sherlock said. John’s jaw dropped, and Sherlock smiled wider at the look of pure amazement in his eyes.
“You’re kidding me?”
“Nope, you saved my life, and then, well, we got distracted and then you were hit with the charm. I blocked it of course, but now we need revenge.” Sherlock decided.
“I killed a bloody basilisk, how in the world?” John muttered.
“So what are you thinking, we just stroll into the Chamber and find him sitting there?” Sara asked.
“That’s exactly what I’m thinking.” Sherlock agreed. Sara groaned, and John wasn’t too thrilled with the plan either.
“Wonder if one of us gets cursed, or worse?” John asked.
“We can’t let that happen then.” Sherlock said simply.
“How about we do our detective work after Christmas break?” John suggested. Sherlock’s face fell, looking like a kid that was begging for candy.
“But John, I’m so bored, that’s two weeks or so away.” Sherlock complained.
“Then find something else to do, I don’t want to go digging around some murder’s den and then leave for a week, who knows what he could do by the time we get back?” John pointed out. Sherlock thought about that, but he didn’t look too convinced.
“And if something does happen, don’t you want one last memory, Christmas break, to make you happy?” Greg pointed out.
“I have plenty of happy memories now, thank you.” Sherlock said with a tone of annoyance. John blushed slightly, because you didn’t have to be a genius to figure out what Sherlock’s happy memories were.
“After Christmas break, then we can do all the detective work you want.” John assured in a soothing voice. Sherlock looked annoyed, but when John talked to him some of the hostility left his eyes. After a short pause, he groaned loudly, as if trying to draw attention to how much he hated this plan.
“Fine!” Sherlock complained. John smiled at him, reaching over the arm rest of his chair to place his hand over Sherlock’s. The professor smiled at him lovingly, and the three friends looked at each other, wondering awkwardly if they should leave. The sparkling green eyes of Sherlock enchanted him, the mysterious sadness, the new found love; it was like an emotional vault, living in his beautiful eyes. John wished they weren’t in a filled common room, but he knew of course unless there was a miracle evacuation, he didn’t want to push the relationship father than it could go today. The moment was ruined when Sara started to stand up, trying to quietly creep away, urging the other two to do the same. John turned his head, glaring at her, and when he turned back Sherlock was looking at the fire. Although their hands were still together, John knew that was it.
“Did your parents say anything yet?” Sherlock asked finally, after one of the most awkward silences John had ever had.
“I didn’t get a reply about me yet, so after I get the answer I’ll send another letter about you.” John planned. Sherlock nodded, not taking his eyes off of the fire, lost in thought.
“What is your family doing for Christmas?” Sherlock asked.
“I have no idea, probably just eating with boring family members, then opening presents, then forced to socialize for the rest of the torturous evening.” Sherlock sighed, waving his free hand unimportantly.
“I’m guessing you don’t like your family.”
“Not at all, I don’t like people, they talk too much, they think you care, their such idiots, there’s only one person I can put up with.” Sherlock said, for a moment glancing at John, but pulling his eyes away almost forcefully. John smiled to himself; he had a guess on who that was.
“So, do you think you could tolerate my family, I’m warning you, they’ll act nice, don’t fall for it. I swear Harry is possessed by some type of demon.” John said, shuddering.
“I’ll need at least four to five hours of personal time, socializing is exhausting.”
“Well, that’s not going to happen, I can tell you that.”
“Just make sure they don’t constantly try to talk to me, and ask the same dull questions over and over again.” Sherlock decided.
“That’s pretty much parents summed up in one.” John shrugged. Sherlock let his head fall onto the armchair with annoyance.
“I know, they really are horrible.” He decided. John looked around the common room with a sweep of his head, making sure there wasn’t anyone in earshot away. Thankfully, the few that were, were in deep conversations with their friends or stressing over homework they hadn’t completed.
“What are we going to tell them, at first?” John asked him. Sherlock turned his head with slight confusion, looking at John for once.
“What do you mean?” he asked.
“Should we tell them the truth, or say that we are just friends?” John asked.
“Why wouldn’t we tell the truth?”
“Well, I was just thinking about giving them the opportunity to get used to you, right? And then tell them; let it be a kind of surprise or something I don’t know.” John shrugged.
“Are you embarrassed?” Sherlock asked in a small voice, as if he didn’t want to know the answer, and immediately John regretted asking him.
“No, of course not, I just thought maybe you wouldn’t want to have all of that pressure on you the first time you met them.” Sherlock nodded, as if he agreed, but John knew that it hurt Sherlock to think John was embarrassed of them being together, which he wasn’t, of course.
“I’m sorry, but I swear, I am not embarrassed.” John assured. Sherlock didn’t say anything, and John looked to his friends for support. For some reason they weren’t hearing anything, they were looking the opposite direction and doing their best to tune them out. John rolled his eyes, giving Sherlock’s hand a reassuring squeeze.
“Sherlock, look at me.” John demanded, not giving Sherlock much of a choice. Sherlock obeyed, looking over at John, who stared right into his eyes, filling his own with all of the love he had for him, which was an over whelming amount. Sherlock’s green eyes were still sad, unsure. John didn’t have to say anything, the longer their eyes met the more Sherlock seemed sure that John wasn’t lying.
“I love you.” John assured.
“I know.” Sherlock muttered, and if there wasn’t a gap between the chairs and a common room full of people, John would have kissed right then and there, and he knew Sherlock would’ve been perfectly fine with that.
“I should probably go, Snape might want help with something and he’ll kill me if I didn’t show up.” Sherlock decided, getting up from his chair and leaving John’s hand to fall back to the side of his chair. John stood up too, but Sherlock was already to the portrait hole, so John followed him. Sherlock paid no attention to him, but once the two were out of the common room and into the deserted hallway, John pulled Sherlock’s hand so he turned to face him, and without a thought of the fat lady’s horrified gasp; he pulled Sherlock’s face down to his and kissed him like the world was ending. All of Sherlock’s bitterness seemed to disappear as the kiss went on, he pulled John closer and seemed to forget everything that might have happened in the common room. John pulled away reluctantly, but anyone could walk around that corner, and if it was someone like Snape both of their lives were ruined.
“Do you believe me now?” John asked. Sherlock smiled a true smile with happiness, relief, and love.
“I’ll see you later John.” He decided, and turning back to the staircase, a skip in his step. John turned around to go back in the common room, but the fat lady looked petrified.
“Do you have any decency?” she gasped.
“Obviously, UMQRA.” John said. The portrait swung open, and Joh climbed in, ignoring the fat lady’s muttering.
“Well, that’s settled.” John decided, sitting back in his armchair, drunk on the kiss. Sara had taken Sherlock’s empty chair, and Greg was sitting against the fireplace.
“I’m not even going to ask what happened.” Mike laughed.
“I think I traumatized the fat lady, but other than that it’s all good.” John said with a smile.
“Did your parents respond yet?” Greg asked.
“Not yet, but I hope they will soon, time is running out, we have what, a week yet?”
“Yep, Hogsmeade is scheduled for Wednesday, which is stupid, since this weekend would’ve been perfect.”
“It was the Yule Ball; they can’t cram too much into a weekend.” John pointed out. It was hard to believe the Yule Ball had been two days ago, it felt like a life time ago. Now he was completely in love, after just two days. That was the weirdest thing, but it proves your entire life could turn for the better if you just suck it up and give someone a chance. It could’ve been Mary having a snowball fight with them, like she’d actually participate, probably sit on the sidelines and cheer John on. He wouldn’t have had the best weekend of his life if he never went up to Sherlock at the ball.