Chapter 22

To John’s anger he was awoken at maybe one o’clock in the morning by some mysterious tapping. His eyes opened, but he couldn’t see anything, the room was pitch black. He heard snores from the other boys, asleep in their beds. John looked around, but heard more knocking, sounding like it came from the window. He blindly grabbed his wand from the bedside table, debating to wake up Greg or Mike, but he decided if it was a threat he would with a simple scream. His eyes started to adjust to the darkness, and in the window he could make out the figure of someone, perched on the roof like a bird. He pointed his wand at the mysterious figure, wondering whether or not it was a hostile. But then he saw, on the head, the silhouette of curly hair, and he put down his wand almost too excitedly and went over to the window. He moved the cup with the roses to the floor, took a cautious look around the dorm, and cracked the window open.
“What…” He started to whisper.
“Shhhh.” Sherlock said, he waved for John to join him. How in the world did he get onto the roof  in the first place, he couldn’t fly and all of the rooms he’s usually in were underground in the dungeons. John, without hesitation, opened the window more, hoping the gentle breeze didn’t wake anyone up, and climbed as silently as he could into the night. He shut the window so there was a small space he could open it back up with, because if he was trapped up here that would not be a good thing. The moon light up the roof only partially, since it wasn’t full, and he tiptoed on the shingles over to where Sherlock was sitting.
“What in the world are you doing?” John asked, even though he wasn’t mad.
“We were cut a bit short don’t you think?” Sherlock asked. John smiled, trying not to look too happy.
“Do you know what happened to the girl?” John asked. Sherlock looked a little bit disappointed, but he nodded.
“She was found in the corridor, but this is a weird one, she was found in a puddle of water for some reason, they think she could’ve just slipped on the water.”
“But we know it had to be the monster right?”
“Of course it had to be the monster, no one slips on water and paralyzes themselves.” Sherlock said obviously.
“Ya, that would be a stupid person.” John agreed, sitting next to Sherlock.
“We need to find that Chamber.” Sherlock decided.
“How?”
“I have no idea, the staff is all posted in all of the corridors, that’s why I came through the window, but we need to end this before anyone else gets hurt.”
“We know it’s in a bathroom, well, we guess, and we think Snape is behind it, trying to frame me, what good is all of that?”
“It’s better than nothing.” Sherlock shrugged. John looked at the ground below them, the grounds, the quidditch field, and distant smoke from Hogsmeade and Hagrid’s shack.
“You scared me half to death, what’s the purpose?” John asked.
“Does there have to be a purpose?” Sherlock asked.
“No, but it would help somewhat.” John shrugged.
“There’s no purpose, I was just a bit annoyed with McGonagall.”
“So you did the Romeo and Juliet thing and knocked on my window in the middle of the night?” John asked.
“I didn’t read that book!”
“Neither did I, but it was a love story.” John pointed out. Sherlock laughed quietly.
“You can read my mind can’t you?” He asked, pulling John closer and planting a kiss on his lips. John didn’t object, he went with it, kissing Sherlock back, his fingers going through Sherlock’s dark curls. His heart fluttered, the world felt warmer, as if someone had turned off the cool wind that was blowing. Sherlock’s arms were wrapped around John’s neck, holding him close, making sure he didn’t run away. He didn’t want to stop of course, but after a while Sherlock pulled away, looking up at the stars.
“Beautiful aren’t they?” he asked, making John very confused.
“Yes, very beautiful.” John agreed. He wasn’t talking about the stars. Sherlock reclined onto his back, laying on the roof and looking up at the stars. “What are you doing?” John asked, disappointed that they had to stop for some unknown reason.
“Enjoying the view.”
“You took me out here to look at stars?” John asked. Sherlock patted the roof softly, encouraging John to join him. John reluctantly lay next to him on the roof, resting his head on his shoulder, gazing up at the stars. It wasn’t that bad, even though he’d much rather be kissing Sherlock right now. The stars were beautiful of course, shining down on them in patterns and constellations. Even though he had taken six years of forced astronomy, he couldn’t pick out more than a few, he could see Venus though, the brightest thing in the sky. One of the many good things about Hogwarts is there is no electric lights, nothing to take away from the sky and stars.
“Sherlock, I love you.” He said simply, but he could feel Sherlock’s pulse quicken.
“I love you too John.” Sherlock agreed.
“I hope nothing splits us apart, because I want to spend the rest of my life with you.” John went on. Sherlock smiled, he had never had anyone say something that nice to him before.
“And nothing ever will.” He assured, taking John’s hand. After a while of just laying together, treasuring each other’s company, John fell asleep, his head still on Sherlock’s shoulder.