[Delicate As A Flower, Stronger Than An Ox.]

Royalty AU time! Emma is a naive Princess, while Ray serves as her humble knight! Warnings for slight gore in the beginning. This oneshot is my longest one yet!

Ray didn't want this to happen...

For any of this to happen.

It was his job to protect her, but he failed miserably.

It was all a normal day for a knight like Ray. He followed the orange-haired Princess into the woods, just to make sure that she didn't run off or get herself into any trouble. At least, it had started out that way.

Even for a speedy knight like Ray, the Princess was just too quick to keep up with! She laughed like a young kid, twirled around like a kid should do, and was all around just having fun and being herself.

But then it happened.

There was a large hole in the ground that she couldn't see, as she was walking backwards, and she began to fall in, screaming for help. Ray tried to catch her, but it was too late. He was worried about the young Princess. Did she get injured when she fell?

A sudden bloodcurdling scream coming from the chasm in the ground scared the black-haired knight to his very core, along with the low growling of demons. Then everything was still, which immediately caused Ray to panic.

Out of nowhere, there was a blinding flash of light, and when Ray could see again, his eyes widened in a combination of fear, surprise, and confusion.

There was the Princess, laying face-up on the ground. Luckily, the girl was unconscious, but unfortunately, her left eye was not so lucky. A group of red roses was bunched together, and they were sticking out of the Princess' left eye. Crimson blood seeped out of the wound.

The girl would never see things the same again...

Ray quickly knelt down towards her to see if there was anything he could do to help her. Unfortunately, it appeared that there was nothing he could do. If he pulled out the roses, there was a high risk of her bleeding to death...

"Damn it all to Hell!" The black-haired knight cursed to the heavens.

Carefully picking her up bridal style, Ray quickly carried the Princess back to the castle, for fear of it turning night, when the demons came out to feast.

------

The orange-haired Princess opened her eyes, well, eye, and a surge of pain throbbed through the left side of her face. Fright filled her very being.

"R-Ray?"

Ray immediately ran over to her. "Lady Emma, I'm here."

"W-Why can't I see? M-My left eye hurts a lot..."

Ray's gaze dropped to the floor as he stayed silent, unsure of what to say to Emma. He sighed solemnly.

"Do you remember falling down that hole, Emma? In the forest."

Emma felt more scared. "Y-Yeah... Why?"