Chapter 7

"Well," Halt began, "Scrato is a rumoured country overseas in the north-west, which apparently is preparing for war against Araluan. Scouts have been sent over on ships but they never return."

"The whole ships just... disappear?" Will questioned, amazed. Halt nodded.

They sat in silence for a few minutes. Bree ran over what had been said in her mind, thinking of possibilities and problems.

"So," she said slowly, "If Scrato is actually there, the people there probably sank all the Araluan ships that came near the place?"

"That seems to be the most possible answer, yes," Halt agreed.

"And we are going to travel there and investigate?" Bree guessed. Halt gave a quick nod.

"But how?" Bree muttered. "We're going to get there with the help of some Skandian kids," Halt said, making eye contact with Bree. Bree nodded. She understood.

"So, Hal and the others?" Bree asked. "Yes," Halt confirmed.

"What in the blue, blithering blazes are you talking about?" Will burst.

Halt and Bree exchanged looks. "What?" Will asked.

"The Rangers Apprentice series weren't the only books about this world that I read," Bree said hurriedly.

"Huh?" Will said, confused.

"In Skandia, there is a group of people our age who are called the Herons. They're a brother band, and Hal is the captain of their ship. They've been on loads of adventures. And they're a really good crew," Bree explained to Will.

"Wish you'd think of me like that," Will muttered.

No one heard him.

Halt turned to Will. "We're also taking Horace with us," Halt said.

Bree nearly spilt her coffee. "If you guys are younger, is everyone else, too?" Bree asked, "And is Maddy...?"

Halt turned his dark eyes to Bree. "For some reason, Maddy isn't much younger. But Horace is the same age as you and Will again."

Will sat in silence. This time-travel age thing confused him. Halt had explained to him why he was suddenly young again, but it was... strange. Too weird for his liking.

Will leaned forward. "So let me get this straight. We're travelling to meet up with the Skandians and Horace, and then we're going to sail across to investigate Scrato," Will said. Halt nodded in confirmation.

"Well! I'd better sharpen my pocketknife then. Goodnight!" Bree said cheerily.

Okay, Will thought. If you tell Bree that you're gonna take her across across the treacherous seas with a bunch if pirates to probably get killed by foreigners, she'll be happy.

Totally normal.