Her Superman

Deever watched Valerie leave the station with a critical eye. The girl was shaken and he knew better than to think that she was telling him the whole story.

But as he listened to the report from the coroner, he knew his options were limited.

"Dewey's toxicology report just came in. He had a methamphetamine, marijuana and alcohol in his system. His blood alcohol level was 2 times higher than the legal limit. The kid was zapped, I'm surprised he was walking and not pissin' n' drooling on the floor." Amanda Merch told her Deputy.

"Yeah well, now he's dead and I need someone to charge." Deever said annoyed. No doubt Dewey's parents will be here soon demanding to know what happened to their "innocent boy" and who was going to pay for it. Deever has plenty of run ins with Dewey when he was alive. He just didn't expect the kid to come back in a body bag.

"Well there's no proof he was pushed," Amanda responded, "and frankly, that Valerie girl isn't a very good suspect. She's a straight 'A' student, never been in trouble with the law, and...we went down the trail. Her footprints show that she never headed towards the bridge that night," she explained.

"Where's the, 'but'," Deever raised a bushy grey brow,

Amanda chuckled but quickly cleared her throat when Deever shot her a disproving look, "but, forensics is saying that she and Dewey got into an altercation of some sort according to the footprints. Someone broke it up. There was a third person at the scene and they followed Mr. Kyle to the bridge."

Deever, now at his desk grabbed his coat and police cruiser keys and huffed, "I knew that girl was leaving something out."

Valerie trudged home in what was now a light sprinkle of cold rain.

She couldn't believe it.

She honestly couldn't believe it.

Dewey was dead.

Was that her fault?

It couldn't be. She didn't do anything.

Her father was asleep in his chair. Not even waking up to the sound of the front door opening and closing behind her.

Valerie's phone buzzed,

Brandon: Are you home?

Valerie hesitated, her heart suddenly beating faster.

Valerie: yeah.

Brandon: I'm here.

Valerie's eyes widened. She rushed up the stairs to her room.

Valerie: What do you mean!?

Brandon: I'm outside your window.

Valerie: Wtf!

Valerie yanked open her window and looked outside.

Brandon was hanging off the window sill, his muscles working to keep his grip and prevent falling. How he even climbed up here was a mystery to her as there was just siding. Nothin to actually grab onto. Yet here he was.

Valerie looked into Brandon's eyes. A sheepish smile covering his face,

"Uh...hi?"

She had half a mind to slam the window down onto his fingers.

"What the fuck Beyer?" Valerie shook her head.

"You gonna let me in?" Brandon licked his lips nervously, "it's kind of high up here."

Valerie rolled her eyes, a smile betraying her annoyed mood as she grabbed onto his arms and helped him into her room.

The dark haired teen was almost inside when his foot caught on the window frame and tripped him.