Sleep Over

Brandon grabbed up the sheets and blanket in his mother's hands before nodding his head for Valerie to follow him to the guest room.

The nervous teen quickly said a couple Thank you's to Tori before hurrying past her to trail behind Brandon.

The guest room wasn't anything special. They didn't have visitors often. Mostly because Tori kept flirtatious men at bay and she had always feared that someone curious enough would somehow discover the alien shipwreck in their barn.

The very ship that had sent her, her beautiful son.

The room was eggshell white, with small paintings here and there and a large window with shear blue blinds to provide light. There was a desk with a matching chair, covered by a blue plaid cushion tied on to the back rails. The bed looked comfortable. Valerie wasn't a mattress expert but she was pretty sure it was either a Full or a Queen. She wouldn't be able to tell until she climbed in it.

Brandon finished making the bed and suddenly, Valerie felt exhausted. Picked up by the police, ran away from home and spending the night at a boys house. Wow Val, you're on a roll. Valerie thought to herself sarcastically.

"I guess this is goodnight." Valerie offered with a slight shrug and a gentle smile.

"Not yet, let me get you some clothes to sleep in." Brandon didn't even give her a chance to argue. He was already out the door to his room right next to hers.

When he returned, he held out folded grey sweats and a white t shirt. Too big for her but Valerie wasn't going to complain.

"Thank you Brandon." Valerie said to him quietly.

"It's nothing." He responded back. Hands lingering on the clothes as she took them. When Valerie felt him taking a step back, Valerie stepped forward, stammering,

"B-Brandon...really. Thank you." She emphasized as strongly as she could, "you probably saved my life."

Brandon felt a feeling of relief and pride mixed together. He couldn't imagine what would have happened if he had left Valerie at her home. Suddenly he had the strongest urge to not let Valerie out of his sight again. Brandon rubbed the back of his neck anxiously. A small, menacing voice in him whispered,

Keep her close.
Don't let her go.

Something raw and instinctual controlled his emotions at this point. Valerie was his friend. Right? . His responsibility. His best friend.

Valerie is ours.

Brandon's eyes were swimming with orange as Valerie looked away to put the clothes down.

"Let's watch a movie tonight." Brandon blurted out. His cheeks suddenly turning pale in surprise at his sudden question. He didn't mean to say it but it forced its way out.

Valerie smiled at him. Spirits lifting even more when she heard him.

"I'd love to watch a movie." Valerie responded, "let me get changed first." She laughed.

Brandon smiled back. Then stood rooted to his spot.

"Brandon."

"Hmm?" He raised his brows.

"Get out." Valerie smirked.

"Oh! Shit. Uh, see you downstairs." Brandon rushed out, closing the door behind him. Valerie's bubbly laugh still very much hearable through the thick wooden door.

Brandon let his head lean back on the wood and closed his eyes. Savoring the elated feeling in his chest.

Things seemed so good right now.