Prologue

My story may contain some cussing...

The story is mainly in the female MC's POV, if the POV changes, it would be stated at the beginning of the chapter.

Dedicated to : MarbelisLugo for the beautiful book jacket above!

Prologue

The first thing that hit me was the heavy smell of smoke.

I was out of bed in a flash, scanning the room for any possible intruders. Thick clouds of grey surrounded me and the pungent smell of smoke wafted through my sensitive nostrils. I let out a few coughs, trying to expel the smoke from my lungs.

I felt around for the doorknob. Being old and loose, it twisted at once. Bright orange flames sprang to my vision, consuming whatever that came to sight. The flames flickered back and forth in the hallway, teasing me for being helpless. A crowd of people raced towards the end of the hallway where it led to the ground floor.

The alarm bell finally rang which did nothing but cause more panicked screams to erupt from the crowd.

Someone shouted my name. "Hazlynn! You there?"

I turned to the direction of the sound. Suddenly, a huge panel of the wooden ceiling I remembered my father had spent ages to build, crashed onto the ground, squashing a few people underneath it.

I rushed over to lift it up. "No!"

My brain was working purely on adrenaline at this point. My arms were aching. "Somebody help!" I screamed out amidst the panicked shouts and cries.

I looked down at the victims and immediately wished I hadn't. The pack members looked at me in awe and gratitude. It was almost as if they had already given up before I even came over.

No, they can't die on me.

"Hang on! I'll get you out of here." I tugged at the panel but to my dismay, it wouldn't budge. Finally, someone came over to help me. I looked up to see my father's Beta, James, leaning over to lift the other side. With an enraged cry, I pushed the panel above my head just in time to see another fall in front of my face.

Covering my face with my hands, I took a few backward steps. The debris came up in clouds, choking me.

"Hazlynn!" I heard that voice again, this time filled with hints of desperation. A figure appeared beside me just when I pushed the useless piece of wood away. With a heavy tug on the arm, she dragged me away from the scene. "We're under attack. Let's go!"

Knowing that James would take care of the victims, I tried to keep up with my mother. "What's happening?" I asked in between gasps, exhausted from the effort I had put into the rescue mission.

"We're under attack." she repeated. Her shoulders were slumped forwards and she wore a frown on her face. Wisps of hair were falling out from her usually-neat bun. For the first time of my life, my mother looked flustered and not at all in control of the situation. Her face was charred and her clothes... It was hard to believe they were white in the first place.