chapter 2

Next day morning I went to shopping with aunt Meera. Chang who happened to be our driver stopped the car in front of a luxurious looking shop.

"Mom, should I come inside too? You guys will take forever to select a dress. You should be more sympathetic since you are stealing my best friend..."
Chang whined as we got off.

"Oh go wherever you want boy. I'll call you when it's time to pick us up..."

Aunt Meera dismissed much happier looking Chang waving her hand and led me to the shop.
Hearing Chang's small cheer as he got in to the car we both laughed knowing he surely is going to meet his girlfriend.

As aunt Meera's order the shop assistant brought so many colorful clothes for me to try on. After trying three dresses with help of the shop assistant a bright and silk red dress caught my eyes.

"Aunt Meera, Can I try this one?" I asked her lifting up the dress.

"Oh that would be perfect dear. Go try it..."
She urged me to the fitting room.

"Oh my God Hannah dear this is the dress. You should wear this today I have perfect jewelries for this dress...."
Aunt Meera gushed turning me around admiring my dress.

The dress apparel had three layers, underwear, an inner layer and overcoat. The coat part was decorated with pink flower embroidery while skirt was plain red silk.
Aunt Meera bought the dress for me and we walk around the town buying few things from shops here and there before calling Chang to pick us up.

Around three o'clock we started to get ready for the party. Aunt Meera got ready herself but was totally lost with all the layers of the dress so she helped me with my dress.

"This hanfu look beautiful on you dear...."
She said while adjusting the sash.

"Hanfu?"

"Hanfu?"

The word was unfamiliar.

"This dress is called "Hanfu" Hannah. This is a Chinese traditional dress belongs to Han dynasty. In the past, embroidery pattern usually reflected the social standing of the person wearing it.... Sit here let me do your hair..."
She made me sat down in front of the huge mirror and started to do my hair.

"Look at you dear. You look beautiful. Wait here I'll bring some accessories..."
She patted my shoulder and opened the ancient looking cupboard and took a wooden jewelry box out.
After helping me with some jade belts and earrings she picked a small beautiful white color wooden box out of the jewelry box. It was craved beautifully with gold designs. 

"This is Hannah our family treasure..."
Opening the box she picked out a gold hair pin.
"I got this from my mother and she got it from her mother. For many generations this phoenix hairpin was gifted to the eldest daughter from mothers...."
She handed me the hair pin.
"Actually this belonged to my elder sister. But she passed away just after giving birth to her son. So my mother gave it to me..."

"How old is this hairpin aunt Meera...?"
I asked admiring it. It had the shape of phoenix and craved gorgeously. It was made by gold and a long gold tussle was hanging from the phoenix's beak.

"We really don't know the exact age of this Hannah

"We really don't know the exact age of this Hannah. My grandmother once said me that this hairpin belonged to an empress who happened to be our ancestor. But no one knows exactly the name of her or the dynasty.... Come here let me put it in your hair..."
She took the hairpin from me and put it on the right side of my hair bun.

"Oh but aunt Meera I don't think I should wear this. This belongs to your family..."
I panicked as she adjusts the pin. With my record of losing things, I was afraid of losing this treasure.

"Oh it's OK honey. I'm just letting you borrow it, so no worries. Besides this matches perfectly with your dress...." She smiled reassuring me.

When I looked at the mirror I was surprised. The girl in the mirror didn't look like a modern European girl but a traditional Chinese girl with European background. My natural pale skin and black hair went well with the costume and the makeup done by aunt Meera had done a miracle.

"Oh My God! Aunt Meera I can't believe my eyes. Is this really me? Wow..."
I gushed being not able to hide my surprise.

"Of course it's you silly girl. Why are so surprised? You are always beautiful. I just gave you a small Asian touch which enhanced your beauty..."
Aunt Meera said laughing at my excitement.

"Thank you aunt Meera.... I love this..."
I thanked taking her hand with both of my hands.  She smiled kindly at my gesture and patted my hands with her free hand.

"Let's go dear. It's almost time for the party and I'm sure my son and husband are waiting for us downstairs..." She took my hand and we both went to downstairs.

"Well damn! look at you Hannah banana... you don't look like a dork anymore..."
Chang whistled after seeing me and his father slapped the back of his head making me and aunt Meera laugh.

"Ok Ok I won't be rude. Let's go my sister from another mother..."
He drapped his arm around my shoulder leading me out while his father took her mother's hand to his.