✰One: No, I'm Australian

Luke

I wheeled my large suitcase out to the family area, where my parents, my older brother Jack, and his wife were standing there. I had my carry on bag in my other hand, setting it down because it was so heavy. My mum quickly walked over to me, and she hugged me tightly. I sighed happily, hugging her back. I'm going to the United States, to train at one of their ballet schools. My mum isn't too fond of the idea of me being so far away.

        "Are you sure you don't want to stay? You know, you can be a dancer here! Then we can come and support you during your competitions." Mum pleaded. I smiled, and I patted her shoulder.

          "I know, but I need to do this. I've never been to the US, it'll be fun for me. I'll call you every night, I promise." I responded. Her eyes welled up with tears, and she hugged me tightly again. She was acting like I was going off to war.

         "My baby is so grown up, traveling across the world all by himself." She cried dramatically.

        "That's enough, Liz." My dad said, causing her to let me go. My dad had a hard time getting over the fact that I wanted to be a dancer, instead of an athlete. But ballet is a sport. Just because I'm not throwing a ball around, it isn't good enough? I've been dancing for my whole life, and I love it. My dad says it's not something men should do. He's become slightly more supportive, but I think he still secretly hopes I'll break out the soccer jersey and soccer ball he got me for my ninth birthday. "Just um...be safe. Call us every night, and take care of yourself." He added.

       I nodded my head, giving him a small smile. Jack walked over and gave me a big hug. He patted my back, and he leaned close to my ear.

          "Impress those American boys, alright?" He whispered. He pulled away from me, and I grinned.

        "I will." I responded softly, my cheeks pink. Jack and his wife Zoe know I'm gay, but my parents don't. Ever since Jack found out, he's been wanting me to start dating. Maybe once I make it to America, I'll meet some cute boys. I checked the time on my phone, my eyes widening. "I have to get going. I love you all, I'll see you maybe at winter break!" I called.

        Everyone shouted bye to me, wishing me good luck. I'm finally leaving Australia, and going to the United States.

                                             ✰✰✰

           When I got off of the plane, my host parents were waiting for me at the gate. They were holding a cute little sign that read Welcome to the United States, Luke! It had stars and the American flag on it. I jogged over to them, and they gave me big hugs.

        "We're so glad you're here! How was the flight?" The woman asked me. I smiled at her, brushing my messy hair out of the way of my face.

        "It was long." I laughed.

      "I'm Ann! But you can call me mom, I don't mind." Ann said excitedly. "And this is my husband Henry, we're recently married." She explained. Henry held his hand out, and I shook it. He pulled me in for a hug, and I was a little surprised. My dad isn't  much of a hugger. 

        "C'mon, we'll go get your luggage, you must be exhausted." Henry said. I nodded my head, walking alongside them. I was excited to see my new home for the next couple of months, but mostly sleep. We got my luggage, and then we left the airport to get to their car. The humidity hit me as soon as we stepped outside.

       We got into the car, and we began driving. I looked out the window, looking at all of the palm trees and billboards for night life and tourist activities. The roads were busy with cars, and there were all kinds of buildings.