✑ there, their, and they're

THERE, THEIR, AND THEY'REIN THIS CHAPTER ✧ when to use "there", when to use "their", when to use "they're", and the difference between the three

IN THIS CHAPTER ✧ when to use "there", when to use "their", when to use "they're", and the difference between the three.

───────────────────────

Alrighty, here's another quick and easy lesson for you guys. If you simply memorize what each word means, your life will be a whole lot easier any time you write. Knowing the difference between these three is what makes you look good in essays and applications. Never fear, Shawn and I are near.

THERE: This refers to a specific place
          or indicates the existence of something.

E.g. "Shawn, I never knew you were from there!" In this sentence, the use of there shows that the speaker is talking about a place Shawn is from. This place could be talking about his hometown (alright Mendes Army, where you at?)

THEIR: This indicates possession or
          ownership of something.

E.g. "Give it back, Mendes. That heart is theirs and you can't take it away from them." In this sentence, the plural use of their shows that we are telling Shawn to give 'them' back what belongs to them — their heart, which probably isn't fucking happening by the way. Think of the 'heir' in 'their' if it helps you.

          ✧ THEY'RE: This literally means "they
          are" and nothing else. The apostrophe ( ' )
is a placeholder for the a in are.

E.g. "Ooh, Shawn and Camila? They're such a cute couple." In this sentence, the use of they're shows that we are talking directly to someone else about Shawn and Camila. This sentence is the exact same thing as saying, "Ooh, Shawn and Camila? They are such a cute couple." There is no difference.

If any of this is confusing, please send me a message via PM and I'll be sure to clear it up with you! If you'd ever like me to proofread anything you're uncertain about, just let me know.

───────────────────────

PUBLISHED ✧ June 29, 2019.