✑ loose and lose

LOOSE AND LOSEIN THIS CHAPTER ✧ when to use "loose", when to use "lose", and the difference between the two

LOOSE AND LOSE
IN THIS CHAPTER ✧ when to use "loose", when to use "lose", and the difference between the two.
FEATURING ✧ a gorgeous gif at the top of Henry Cavill portraying Geralt, enjoy it ladies and gents. I sure am.

───────────────────────

So I haven't published anything in this book since 2019, for which I humbly apologize, but I decided to ease back into this book nice and slow. This lesson is very short! But easy. I've been seeing people confuse loose and lose a lot, especially here on Wattpad. I don't know if it's because most of the writers on here are very young (I know y'all got on here before you got old enough, don't lie to me) or because these are genuine mistakes / typos / misinformation / etc.

Either way, I'm here to fix that for you guys without judgement.

          ✧ LOOSE: (1) Not firmly or tightly fixed
in place; detached or able to be detached.
(2) OR: (when talking about clothes) not
fitting tightly or closely.
(3) OR EVEN: (and this is rarely) to set
something free; to release it.

(2) E.g. "Those pants look a little loose on you, Shawn." In this sentence, the use of loose follows in line with the definition for clothing in that we're informing Shawn his pants could fit him better.

(1) Another E.g. "Boy, she's a loose cannon, isn't she?" The use of loose in this sentence isn't talking about a real cannon. The term 'loose cannon' is used to describe someone who isn't mentally or emotionally stable, but goes to say that the mind (referred to as the 'cannon') isn't fixed in its proper place.

More examples include:
➢ "Seems to me we still have another loose end to take care of."
➢ "That poster is hanging pretty loosely from the wall, might need more tape." (This sentence shows us this: The poster isn't firmly or tightly fixed in its place on the wall. The edges are probably coming off, might need to be taped down again.)

(3) One More E.g. "The hounds have been loosed." This is the rare use of the term! Most people nowadays will never write or say a sentence like this so you shouldn't be too worried about seeing it. It means that the hounds have been released; set free.

          ✧ LOSE: Be deprived of or cease to have
          or retain (something).

E.g. "I don't like to lose." In this sentence, the use of lose shows that we are talking about be deprived of victory; of winning; of success. To lose is to fail.

More examples include:
➢ "I've lost my car keys, Shawn."
➢ "You are so going to lose this battle! I'm not letting you win if it's the last thing I do."

Alright that's pretty much it. A super simple lesson, right? If you guys have any questions, comments, or concerns, just let me know and I'll be sure to respond to you ASAP. I'm tired right now though so I'm going to sleep, goodnight! (:

───────────────────────

PUBLISHED ✧ February 5, 2020.
(Our first chapter of the new year, sorry it's taken forever to come out! Enjoy.)