12. Magenta

The day ended off with the first clear sky we'd gotten the entire time here, a bright orange sunset falling over the city and casting everything in fiery hues; everything felt warm and gentle as my heels clicked on the pavement, Summer's laughter echoing through my whole body. My frustration from earlier seemed to have melted away and I felt at ease with my friends.

We all ended up at a local pub for dinner, my mouth watering at the scent of fish n'chips as the bowl was passed my way; Rowan and Matt chugged their pints right alongside Suzhe before they cheered happily. Summer passed my a sly look while we sipped at our sodas and the plan for tonight began to come into fruition the moment we left the building: the boys all crashed out quickly and the knock on our door revealed a glitzed up Suzhe, a silky green slip hugging her body as black suede boots wrapped around her thighs. Summer was still in the bathroom and I was only half dressed but we were all giddy with the idea of hunting down the city's hunter.

"You better be wearing that little red number," Suzhe winked at me as she sunk into an armchair.

"What other number would I have to wear?" I snorted, grabbing the dress off of my bed before pulling it on over my head; there were fingers on my spine as Summer appeared to help me zip it up. She was dressed in a sparkling black minidress with rhinestone straps, smoky eyes bringing out the green in her irises.

"Are you going to let me do your makeup?" Summer pouted and I rolled my eyes, giving in to her desire and nodding.

"Keep it simple," I waved a finger at her to quell the devious gleam, watching as she whipped her makeup brushes out and went to work.

About a half hour and many pictures later we were finally ready to go, my eyes dripping honey and gold highlights behind sharp black wings. Suzhe had made a halo of my hair, the braid wrapping around my head to contain my explosive curls. I had to pause in the mirror on the way out the door and just admire myself for a moment, noting how I looked like a goddess of the sun, a covergirl for the Leo zodiac- setting aside the fact I was a Scorpio- and falling head over heels for myself for the first time in a very long time.

"Come on lazy bones!" Summer giggled as she dragged me out into the hall, our laughter echoing far and wide as we trotted down the steps and to the lobby. All eyes were on us; everything from lust to envy to glory as we pushed through to the front doors.

We managed to flag down a cab and I rattled off an address, listening to my friends as they bickered in the backseat the whole way there. Eventually we emerged into the heavy night air, my tip to the driver enough to make him smile before he sped off; we had arrived at the metal door I'd found earlier in the week with Suzhe, the sound of pounding bass barely audible as we approached. After a few hard raps against the steel a slider opened and we handed over our I.D.'s before the door swung inward, revealing a hallway plastered with posters and magenta lighting. I thanked the man as he handed our items back and we traversed the pathway until we got to the club itself.

Everything was bathed in a deep magenta, gauzy curtains draping the ceiling and the sides of the room while ethereal techno-pop echoed off the walls. We looked just like any other patron here, the girls splitting off from me to dance while I explored further; I ended up stumbling across the bar and saw that every drink was neon-themed, ordering myself an electric yellow lemon drop and taking a gratuitous sip while I scanned the crowd.

Off to the side were booths, round and comfortable couches surrounding hookah machines that added mist to the already ghostly atmosphere. It was then that I spotted my target, surrounded by concubines as they fawned over his appearance. I couldn't help but chuckle to myself as I watched him toy with the poor girls, noting that he never made the first move while they caressed his cheek or placed a hand on his thigh. After a few more sips I felt tipsy enough to swallow my fear and get to my feet, the sound of my heels on the floor loud and demanding over the bass around me. Blue eyes slid over to meet mine and August seemed surprised amongst other emotions that flashed too quickly across his face for me to decipher before he smiled languidly.