39. Just tired

Monday morning I got myself up for work, throwing my phone across the room in an effort to shut off the alarm while I groaned. I was still thoroughly exhausted but I was a little excited to be back in my natural element; my own office around the corner and the labs down below. No hotel rooms or spooky forests looming around me.

Today was a houndstooth kind of day and I donned my patterned chinos and the matching blazer, thin red lines intersecting the tiny black and white shapes. I took after Suzhe for inspiration and had my turtleneck on underneath it, all warm and cozied up for the gray day outside. The alarm sounded again and I snagged my phone to shut it off before tossing the device into my purse and making my way through the apartment, going about the usual daily duties in the most fun way possible.

"Hey Mooney!" I called out as I grabbed a pot and a spoon from the sink, slamming the two together to be as loud as possible, "time for school!"

Ramona's voice was muffled as she called from her room, "why are you such a prick?!"

"If I'm not, you won't be on time!" I called back, a massive grin on my face while I made myself a cup of coffee. I found that as I moved about the kitchen a drawer would open before I could grab it or a cabinet would pop to reveal the sugar and creamer, our resident poltergeist seeming to take a little joy in helping me out. Ramona finally emerged from her room, her hair stuck up at every angle and revealing her black roots while her makeup had smudged around her seething eyes.

"I hate you."

"You love me," I chuckled warmly as I ran my fingers through her hair, "looks like you're due in for a touch up."

"I know, I've...actually been thinking about letting it just grow out," she admitted, a light blush in her cheeks as she reached up to run her fingers through it, "Vince likes my natural hair, not that he doesn't like the blue, but it's about time I just let it go, you know?"

"Whatever makes you happy gorgeous," I patted her cheek gently before grabbing my mug and making my way around the island, "I'll see you when I'm off, have a good day!"

"You too Mina, don't push yourself too hard!"

"Lord knows I always overdo it when I go to work," I rolled my eyes as I closed the door behind me, "easiest job on the planet when I'm not halfway across it."

My heels clicked commandingly as I walked to my car, packing myself up inside and just sitting for a moment while it warmed up. It was still dark out, but the sun was coming up on the horizon, the sky a dusky, dusty blue that I loved dearly. I flipped my sunglasses holder down for a second and reached inside, pulling out the little silver cross from inside and staring at it with a tight feeling in my chest; I couldn't help but think about how much it reminded me of August's. All this time and he still kept his faith. I didn't know how much I was willing to put in to this whole situation with God but for once I slipped the necklace on of my own volition and tucked it underneath my turtleneck.

The streets were only a little busy as I crossed town but I was making good time, pulling up to my front row spot and taking the time to gather a deep breath before sauntering up the steps; the moment I opened the door I was greeted with a rush of noise, the office busier than usual, far busier. I wasn't sure why until I was swarmed with people, everyone asking me question after question. It was all a mess of noise at first that I couldn't pick apart until I heard the word Paris; after that I was able to decode the questions far more easily. They connected it to Hawaii, to the earthquake, asking what it was like to be in the epicenter of the two largest earthquakes in nearly a decade. I was choked up but doing my best to answer, right up until a hand reached in and fished me from sea of reporters, my savior: Emilie.