Epilogue

Not edited

Two years later

Jett

I scanned the row of graduates finally settling on the one I was looking for.

"Look Robbie," I whispered, pointing. The studly little boy with black curly hair, silver eyes, and freckles followed my finger, "It's mommy."

He scrunched his hand up in an enthusiastic wave.

"Mommy," he squealed. I chuckled and blew a raspberry on his cheek, making him giggle that adorable, infectious laugh that makes you want to stop and listen, just like his momma. I turned him on my lap so he was facing me and looked at him very seriously.

"Okay Robbie, are you ready? I have a mission for you," I said.

He chewed on his finger and stared at me with big eyes.

"When mommy walks across that stage, you need to wave at her really big, yeah?"

He nodded once.

"Let me see your big wave, squirt," I said, bouncing him up and down once. He raised one pudgy little hand and waved it with everything he had.

"That's my boy!" I said. I bounced my knees higher and made horse clicking noises and he got a huge grin on his face. This was his favorite game. He loved horses.

"Can I see him?" Rosa, Kami's mom, asked. I handed him over and Rosa started making funny faces, making my baby giggle.

"You've gotta cute kid, Skinner," Ryan said from next to me. I grinned at him and nodded.

"Heck, yeah, I do."

"Heck? What has that girl done to you?"

I chuckled.

"Yeah, well-"

I heard a cry that I could pick out in a crowded hallway and abandoned my conversation with Ryan to turn to Rosa and Robbie.

Robbie was looking at me with a bright red face and tears streaming down his face.

"Daddy," he said in between hiccuping and sobbing.

"He wants his dad," Rosa said with a smile, handing Robbie over to me.

"Come here, baby boy," I said, putting one hand behind him head and one arm around his back as I bounced him up and down a little and he clung to my neck.

"Daddy," he whispered with a little lisp.

I smiled tenderly and gave him a kiss on the top of his head where his curly hair laid widely on his head.

"That's right, squirt."

I'll never forget how it felt the first time he called me daddy, or the fist time I heard him call Kami mommy, or when I first saw him.

A guy walked onto the stage and tapped the microphone.

"Oh, here we go. You ready to wave?" He nodded enthusiastically and I turned him around so he could watch. The man talked about the graduates and how proud they all were, but I was watching Kami. She kept fidgeting with her gown and glancing back at me and Robbie, offering us a little nervous smile every time we caught her.

Finally, they started calling the graduates up. When they got to Kami, our whole row stood up and started whooping and cheering. Robbie called 'mommy' at the top of her lungs and was waving her little heart out. After Kami got her diploma and shook the man's hand, she waved back and blew Robbie a kiss. I winked at her and she did a little bow near the end of the stage.

I went with Robbie to meet her there, and she immediately scooped Robbie into her arms.

"Hello my darling," she said in a horrible British accent, raining kisses all over Robbie's face.

Robbie giggled and tucked his face into her neck, lifting his shoulders and burrowing into his momma.

"Hey, you," Kami said, lifting up on her tiptoes to give me a quick kiss.

"I am so proud of you," I said, leaning down to give her a slightly longer kiss.

"Thanks," she said with a pleased smile and a slight blush, "I'm so nervous about that interview on Monday."

Kami was going to an interview for an elementary school art teacher position. She was freaking out about it, but I had nothing but confidence in her.

"You're gunna do great, tiger," I said, wrapping my arm around her shoulder. Robbie lifted his arms up and looked at me expectantly.

"He is such a daddy's boys," Kami said with a fond smile as she handed me Robbie.

"Yes, he is, and it will stay that way." I lifted Robbie up so she was even with my face. "When you get older and forget about me, you stay a daddy's boy, all right?"

"Daddy!" He confirmed.

"All right," I said, bouncing him in my arms, making him squeal. "That's my baby."

Kami looped her arm around my waist and leaned her head against me and I hung my free arm over her shoulder.

"When do you have to be at the garage?" she asked.

"I gave the guys the day off, so I don't," I said with a smile.

"Must be nice to be the boss," Kami said, nudging her shoulder into me.

"Eh, it has it's perks," I confirmed.

About a year after I proposed to Kami, Sal retired, moved, and left the garage to me, which means I get all the profit from the garage, which was huge for Kami and me, especially with a wedding and a baby.

"Jett!" I turned with a smile ready for my baby sister.

"Hey, Kells," I said, "where's James?"

So, apparently during all the drama with Kami and me, Kelly and James had started secretly seeing each other.

Never saw that one coming.

"Uh," Kelly looked around then shrugged, "I have no idea. Are you two going to go?"

I looked at Kami and she shrugged.

"Yeah, we're just going to hang out, though, if anyone wants to come over."

"In an hour and a half to two hours," Kami corrected, her hand sliding into my back jeans pocket.

A wicked grin spread across my face and I nodded my enthusiastic agreement.

"Okay, first of all, eww, second of all, we will be there in like three hours," with a roll of her eyes she ran off to find James.

"Three hours, huh?" I said with a grin.

"Oh, get over yourself," Kami chuckled.

Robbie started chewing on my shoulder and I leaned my head down to give him a kiss.

"Little monster, are you biting me?"

He gave me a big goofy smile as confirmation so I continued.

"Well, darlin', there's no one I'd rather bite me. Except maybe your mom," I said.

Kami laughed and shook her head.

"You're terrible."

"Mm," I agreed, leaning down to give her a kiss, "I think that's why you married me."