Chapter 1: Fitting in

"This apartment is the biggest in this building. It's actually a duplex, so..."

Ash looked around. The walls were all painted white and it still smelled fresh.

"You said you were looking for a big place." The agent looked at him.

"Yes." Ash nodded. He walked slowly and looked around again. He loved this apartment. It was perfect.

"The apartments of fifth floor have three bedrooms. They are spacious too." The agent explained. "In term of price, this duplex might not be very interesting. I suggest the apartments-"

"Actually, I'm interested in this one." It was the last floor of the building and the biggest. It was what he's been looking for.

"Are you seeking a bank loan?"

"Just for a part." Ash put his hands in his pants' pockets. "I have other savings - I have a business too. It's okay."

"Oh, okay." The agent seemed a bit surprised. "There are age restrictions for big loans, though."

Ash smiled. "I'm forty-one."

"Oh—yes, of course! I wasn't talking about you, sir!" The agent laughed nervously. "I was talking in general!"

"It's fine. I get that all the time." Ash chuckled. He waved his hand. "Don't mention it."

The agent looked very embarrassed. "I'm—it's what I tell clients all the time... it's a reflex."

Ash turned toward the man. He smiled broadly. "I want this apartment."

- 

When Misty tried to turn the doorknob, she noticed it was locked. She rested against the door with the basket full of dirty clothes in her hands. "Ash? Open the door!"

She heard a click sound. Misty opened the door and got inside, slamming it shut with her foot. "I'm doing laundry. Do you have dirty clothes?"

"No." Ash was putting on pajama pants, or more like trying.

"There are socks under the bed." Misty collected the socks and put them in the basket.

"Uh—did you wash this with hot water? It's small." Ash quit trying to get the pants on. They were stopping at his hips every time. It was frustrating.

Misty looked at the pants. She blinked. "Honey, those are not yours; they're your father's."

Ash made a face. "Huh?"

"Oh my God! Don't ruin them! Your father is thinner!" Misty giggled and snatched the pants away from Ash's hands. "Let me wash these. Your father must be looking for them."

"Why are they in our bedroom?" Ash huffed and opened the closet again. "Are these clothes really my clothes? Will I find mom's clothes now? Grandma's?"

Misty put down the basket. She pulled closer to Ash and put her hands on his shoulder. "What's wrong?"

"Nothing." He grumbled.

"Really? Nothing?"

"I might need a drink." Ash grabbed black pants. He looked at Misty. "Is this mine, Mist?"

"Aaash." She cocked her head.

He shrugged. "Just checking."

"You've been needing a lot of drinks lately." Misty rubbed his upper arm. "Is everything alright?"

"Yeah, sure. It's just the wine store. It's really too much work." Ash sighed. "I need a vacation."

"Or maybe something else?" Misty's hand made its way slowly to Ash's crotch and started lowering the waistband of the shorts. "Ooh, what is this?"