Chapter 4: About Ryan

"Hey champion. What's that?"

Ryan turned around. He was grasping a bird and its head was facing downward. "Do you think it's a male or a female? I can't tell." He brushed the spot between the bird's legs while the poor creature moved its legs and wings desperately.

Ash made a face. His kid was really, really, really a town boy. "I think you're hurting the fella, Ryan. Let it go."

"Okay." Ryan loosened his grip and the bird instantly flew away. He picked up his baseball bat, stroking it.

"It was a female." Ash sat beside his son on the grass.

"I have a female already. I want a male."

"You have it? Where?"

"Grandpa and I made a cage. It's in the garage."

"How many birds have you caught?" Ash wasn't sure if he should be proud or scared.

"Just one." Ryan leaned to the back and supported himself with his elbows.

"You have to let it go, you know." Ash patted his son's back. "You have to be gentle with animals."

Ryan laughed. "Oh, I'm so touched."

Ash hit him on the head.

"Okay! Okay! I'm letting the bird go." Ryan frowned. "She's doing nothing interesting anyway. She's just shitting!"

"I saw you earlier with Millie on the back of your bike," Ash began. "Having the max of fun during this summer, aren't you?"

"She's really cool." Ryan licked his lips, grinning. "She lets me touch her boobs all the time."

"There are things you're not supposed to share, not even with your father." Ash coughed. For a town boy, Ryan was ... at an advanced stage.

"But she wears strings instead of panties!"

"Okay, anyway." Ash sat straight. "Millie is from Viridian, right?"

"Yeah. I bring her." Ryan nodded.

"You do?"

"Yeah. I go there and pick her up." Ryan nodded again. "Don't tell mom but I go through the forest. It's a shortcut."

"You bring Millie on your bike through the forest?"

"She's allergic to pollen so I keep pedaling pretty fast." Ryan chuckled.

Ash was amazed—shocked, too. His kid rode his bike trough the empty dark forest and he didn't know—his kid even went to Viridian to bring the girl here, without him knowing.

He thought he was going to save the scolding for later; this was his chance. "How do you find Viridian? Do you like it?"

"It's cool." Ryan cocked his head. "There are really pretty girls in Viridian."

"Aside from the girls, Ryan." Ash spoke quickly.

"It's cool."

"How cool?"

"It's just big. It's really cool. People are all dressed up." Ryan licked his lips. "The food is really great too, but of course it can't beat grandma's."

"I see..."

"Wait—why?" Ryan sat up. "Are we moving or something?"

"What—no, we're not." Ash answered. "Why?"

"Okay..." Ryan frowned. He turned to lay down on his belly. "I'd love to move there. I could get a car when I'm sixteen."

"Uhm." Ash nodded to himself. His eldest kid was for the move. Not that he was expecting the opposite.

"You know what would be really cool?" Ryan smirked. "Moving to Viridian next year and living on my own."

"I can't say I trust you alone in an apartment, champ." The boy's hormones were all over the place. It's the flood.

"I'm going away anyway. If it's not next year, it's when I'm eighteen." Ryan stated. "I will go to Goldenrod and party until it's illegal. I won't sleep."

"Until then," Ash gave Ryan a light hit on the head. "Don't go through the forest and don't pedal way too fast!"

"Got it!" Ryan pulled away.

"And let's keep it pretty innocent with Millie..." Ash whispered as he got up.

"It's innocent. We've never had sex." He spoke confidently. "I'm not an idiot."

Ash coughed a bit. "I don't think you're ready for this conversation."

"You're the one who's not ready! You had sex for the first time in your twenties!" Ryan laughed. "How pathetic is that?"

"..."

"..."

Ryan ran toward the vineyards when Ash picked up his baseball bat.