Ch. 3

First Year

"Draco, what if they don't like me?"

"Then they don't like you."

"That isn't reassuring."

"Sorry, I wasn't aware that I was playing the role of supportive, coddling boyfriend."

Harry stopped packing long enough to glare at the other boy. "I'm actually serious. What if they decide they don't want you to be friends with me anymore?"

Draco let out a heavy sigh and dropped the sweater he'd been folding into his trunk to turn and face Harry. "And why, do enlighten me, would they decide that?"

Harry's brow creased as he rubbed the back of his neck and winced. "Because I'm not pureblood? Because I'm not top of the class like you? I don't know there are so many reasons."

Draco took a step closer to Harry and reached out a hand to grip his shoulder. Normally Draco didn't do physical contact so Harry understood the weight behind the moments Draco consciously reached out. Over the last few months as he and Harry had gotten closer Draco had realized that touch grounded Harry, who hadn't gotten very much touch as a child either.

"Harry, my parents already like you because you're Harry sodding Potter and everyone likes you. In addition, as much as I hate to admit it, Granger from Gryffindor has better grades than me in most classes."

"Barely," Harry huffed.

"Yeah, but still." Draco shrugged and went back to packing his trunk. " It's fine. You're a Quidditch prodigy, right? Youngest seeker in a century? That has to count for something. I swear it'll be fine. My parents aren't monsters."

-x-

Malfoy Manor was beautiful in the winter. Then, Harry had never seen it at any other time of the year, he was sure it looked just as incredible no matter the season. Harry stared wide eyed at the way the snow coated the manor. It was an old building with arches and spires and balcony railings. He loved the old architecture. Loved walking among the snow dusted  shrubs and trees in the sprawling gardens.

"Can we go back in now?" Draco grumbled from a few feet behind him.

Harry turned to face his best mate. "You don't even know how good you have it, do you?"

Draco huffed. "Freezing my ass off so Harry bloody Potter can trudge around in the snow in my backyard. Yeah, I have it real cushy."

Harry rolled his eyes at Draco's theatrics. "What my Aunt and Uncle wouldn't do to live here."

"If you come back inside with me now I'll get Dobby to make us treacle tart," Draco said, stamping his feet to try and warm them up.

This got Harry's attention. "Who's Dobby?"

"Our house elf."

Now Harry was really intrigued. "Your what now?"

Draco smirked. "Come on and you'll see."

-x-

"You boys have fun outside?" Mrs Malfoy asks, peering around the doorway of the sitting room, when they come in.

"You have a beautiful property, Mrs Malfoy," Harry says, slipping off his trainers.

"Thank you, Harry. That's sweet of you to say."

"I was just going to get Dobby to make us some treacle tart," Draco told his mother, hanging his coat.

"Sounds lovely dear- Hold on, Harry?"

Feeling his stomach drop to his feet, Harry turns to Mrs Malfoy. "Yeah?"

"Do you not have winter boots?'