Ch. 4

Second Year

"Where's Harry?" his mother asked, looking around the platform. "I want to say hello before you all get on the Hogwarts Express and I don't see you until Christmas."

"He better not be late. The train won't wait for him." Pansy stood on her tiptoes, trying to find him.

"There he is," Draco said, having just spotted him. Harry was standing alone on the platform with his trolley loaded with Hedwig and his trunk. Draco watched as Pansy ran and tackled 'their friend. Harry stumbled and nearly toppled over but somehow managed to stay upright. He hugged Pansy back.

"You barely wrote to me all summer!" Draco heard Pansy exclaim as he got closer with his mother.

"Sorry, my Aunt and Uncle made me lock up Hedwig," Harry said apologetically.

"Are you serious?! They're ridiculous."

"Tell me about it." Harry spotted Draco over Pansy's shoulder and a smile broke out across his face. Draco smirked back but wasn't prepared for the tight hug Harry gave him. He flushed but hugged Harry in return.

"How was your summer?' He asks Harry when they stepped apart.

"Just dandy," Harry replied, rolling his eyes. "Must of the summer I was up in my room pretending I didn't exist. Yourself?"

"We went to our place in Italy for most of July, visited a cousin in Monaco, couple weeks in Spain, few days in Poland-"

"Stop bragging, Draco, try having some humility for once," his mother interrupted him. "Harry, believe me I wanted to take you but Dumbledore, stubborn old man, wouldn't allow it."

"Why not?" Pansy demanded. "How could Dumbledore be alright with Harry staying with his Aunt and Uncle but not be okay with Harry spending the summer with you?"

"We're not the best people in Dumbledore's eyes," his mother admitted . "He likely would prefer that Harry didn't spend any time with us at all."

"That's not his choice," Harry balked. Draco watched Harry's features go from upset to happy in a matter of seconds as he sees Blaise walking towards their group. Jealousy twisted in his gut when Blaise got the same hug he had.

The train released a warning whistle and they hurried their goodbyes with his mother ("See you boys at christmas!") to board the train and get a compartment. The only one that was empty enough to fit them all was the one with Theodore Nott, a Slytherin boy in their year, who was sprawled out on one of the seats, his legs up and back against the window wall.

"Mind if we join you, Theodore?" Harry inquired.

"Be my guest," Theodore said, sitting up and making more room for them, gesturing to the space around him. "And call me Theo, or Nott. Only my mother, bless her heart, calls me Theodore."

"Are you high, Theodore?" Pansy licked her lips and raised her eyebrows, giving him an unimpressed look. Draco noticed she'd completely ignored his comment about not calling him Theodore.

"So what if I am?" challenged the weedy boy, bringing the joint to his lips again.

Pansy wrinkled her nose in disgust. "Where do you even get it?"

"My older cousin. He visited my old man and me last week."

Pansy shook her head, her chin high as she refused to look at Theo. "What did you do this summer, Blaise?"

Harry and Draco shared an amused look. Both of them thought Blaise's crush on Pansy was obvious but Pansy denied it.

"Hey, Zabini," Theo interrupted. "Is that your mother?"