Timing

She wasn't a party girl, but her friends meant no harm throwing her one.

It wasn't a big party, twenty people at most. Everyone was drinking and talking. Everyone was having fun.

She was having fun.

People approached her and asked about her time in Spain. How did it go? How much did she learn? Did she meet cute guys?

It went better than expected.

A lot.

Yes... but that's another story.

Her best friend was there, barely leaving her side, which was what they both expected after almost three years of not seeing each other every day. Charlotte, Charlie, was missing her greatly.

The first thing she said to Sierra when they met was that Spain changed her a lot. That wasn't exactly true.

Yes, she had picked a small, almost untraceable, accent, and she developed a strong hate for sea food, but that was it. She was the same she's always been.

Charlie picked her up at the airport along with her parents. Her mom hugged her and almost had a heart attack when she saw the small Scorpio constellation tattoo she got on the back of her ear. Her dad smiled in an attempt not to cry. Carrying the tough man suit he always had.

They went to dinner and she told them a lot of stories. Some she kept to herself; a tale for Charlie's ears only.

The party was a day after that. Clara and Gwen organized the whole thing and didn't even tell Charlie until that same morning; instructing her to bring Sierra without her noticing.

She did notice.

The party was in Clara's apartment. It had a beautiful view and an indie vibe to it. Soft colors and vintage stuff here and there, some cute but nerdy posters on the walls, and a little glow to it all. The yellow couch was covered with a dark blue sheet, which toned it down and gave the space life. It was like being inside one of Clara's Spotify playlists.

That's what Sierra had on her mind when he walked in.

She noticed him a full second before he saw her, long enough for her to turn around and flee in the other direction; excusing herself with a smile and a small bladder.

She went into the bedroom and took a deep breath.

Deep breaths, See, deep breaths.

That's what her mom used to tell her when she had panic attacks growing up.

Not the best memory to have right now. She hasn't had one in years.

The breathing worked, though. She managed to lift her back from the door and walk towards the mirror. Just a quick, innocent check.

Her hair was cascading on both sides, and it was still a bit lighter on the tips; residue of last year's break-up-blond-dye she instantly regretted.

She closed her eyes, unable to keep looking for flaws, and taking another short breath, she left the room.

Sierra saw Charlie across the living room, sitting on the couch. She was going to walk straight to her and sit down. But she was interrupted.

He bumped into her and, as they both said sorry, their eyes met.

The second they remained like that, was like time stopped. Like those three years didn't go by.

He smiled.

"Hi, See." He hid his hands in his pockets.

"Hi, Aiden" She answered.