Fluffy

Curled up on the couch together, watching a cute animated movie; Eight was certain this was her new favorite State In Which To Exist. It was perfect and beautiful.

They had separate blankets though...which was nice, but suddenly seemed less than ideal. She was covered in softness, smothered by it even...but Three was probably softer, right? She kinda wanted to find out.

"But mother, I don't want to go to the beach today!" Called out the character on the screen. He was a young seagull, mostly white with golden wingtips. The main character, from what Eight could tell.

She diverted her attention from the screen to her girlfriend, who was leaning into the side of the couch and watching the movie with the softest of smiles on her face.

And gosh if that didn't just make Eight's hearts a warm pile of sap.

"Achilles, dear, you need to learn eventually." Said the seagull's mother. "What'll happen if we have to leave here, and you still can't fly?"

Little Achilles flapped his wings indignantly. "You don't understand, mother! The air is changing! It won't be safe to fly for much longer!"

"Is this about that silly dream of yours again? I told you already, dear, children do not have visions. You just had a nightmare, nothing's going to happen."

"But-"

"Come along, dear."

Eight scooted a bit closer to Three. Three turned to look at her for a moment, smiled, then turned back to the movie.

The plot marched on, and the young seagull tried in vain to warn his mother of the imminent danger to no avail.

Eight snuggled up a little closer to her girlfriend, enough so that she was leaning her head on her shoulder. Three blushed a little but seemed to keep her attention on the screen.

Eight watched the screen as attentively as she could. The beach where the seagulls lived was soon beset by a mighty whirlwind, swiftly snatching away all the gulls that tried to fly to escape it; all but Achilles, who was blown back into a tree and knocked unconscious. He got another vision that told him to head down the coast. It was time for a journey to begin.

Eight thought it was cute so far. Nice setup. She didn't really know enough about movies to have an opinion more complex than that. She kept her head on Three's shoulder.

The next scene was a short montage of Achilles traveling, on foot, through the woods. "Why is he in the forest?" The Octoling asked. "Isn't he headed down the beach?"

"Shelter from the wind?" Three offered, glancing for a moment down to her girlfriend.

"Hm." She was her only reply. There was a pause, and the music abruptly stopped. A sound echoed around the little bird, and he whipped his head around to find the source of the mysterious-

"Isn't that the sound the Great Zapfish makes?" Eight inquired.

Three blinked. "Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh you're not supposed to know that." She replied with a pout, and only a few seconds later did a Zapfish appear on screen. It wasn't as big as the Great Zapfish, but it's colors mirrored it. It also had legs for some reason?

"Why does it have legs? Zapfish don't have legs."

"Just be patient, Eight." Three replied quietly, as the Zapfish-creature introduced himself as Kalyn the Zapdragon.

"...what's that mean." Eight asked quietly in response.

"You know, a dragon. But it looks like a Zapfish? Zapfish dragon."