Recognition, definition

It was the day before they'd planned to meet when Three got an excited text from Eight.

[The real hero]: HEY I KNOW WE SAID TOMORROW AND YOU CAN TOTALLY SAY NO TO THIS BUT CAN WE SWITCH TO TODAY??? SOMETHING AMAZING JUST HAPPENED AND I NEED TO TELL YOU IN PERSON

Three blinked. Could she do that? Nothing was really any messier than usual, and it was Eight...she took a deep breath, praying her anxiety would wane, and replied.

[Three]: Sure! Can't wait to hear about it! :)

Typed with a fair amount more confidence than she actually had, but that was fine. She didn't want Eight to worry.

[The real hero]: Aaaaaa thanks!! I'll be there as soon as I can!!

"Take your time, I don't mind." Three murmured, still feeling nervous. She took another deep breath; it'd be fine. It was nice to have Eight over last time. It would be nice this time; why wouldn't it? She stood up, and went to at least find something to put away, to perhaps ease her nerves.

Why wouldn't it indeed.

————————————————————————

Eight knocked on the door a half-hour later. She was practically vibrating with excitement, and she could tell she looked it, for Three made a face when she opened the door. Or rather, she saw the expression change: it went from 'vaguely nervous' to 'perplexed yet hopeful'. At least, that's what it looked like.

Eight didn't give herself much time to process it, either, for she quickly hopped through the doorway and grabbed Three's hand. "Three!! You'll never guess what happened!!" She exclaimed.

Three looked a bit startled by her cheering, and as she closed the door with her free hand she voiced it. "Wow, judging by how excited you are, I bet something incredible."

"Very incredible!! Do you wanna guess?" She offered, her excitement still barely contained.

Three rolled her eyes. "You just said I'll never guess! But I can try. Uh...you just got done turfing, right? So it probably happened there?"

She gave a fierce nod, and immediately ditched the guessing game. "Ok ok, so, I remembered a thing awhile ago, about old friends of mine underground. A picnic, and Benny and Ilkani were there, but!! There were two other people I remember too: another Octoling and an Octotrooper. I asked Ilkani about them a bit ago, and she said the Octotrooper....is gone now, probably Four's fault, but!! The Octoling!! He left, apparently before me and Benny did!! And I just saw him while I was turfing!!"

Three felt the enthusiasm spread to her. "Woah, that's awesome, Eight!" She replied with a smile. "How'd that go? Did he recognize you?"

Eight cleared her throat, fighting to keep her voice at least somewhat level. "Ok, uh, it went like this..."

————————————————————————
(Earlier...)

Eight heaved herself up from the table, break officially over. She'd greatly enjoyed herself so far! Everyone had been nice, she'd won a good few battles, there'd even been a few Octolings in some of her matches! Her mood was already great, and as she finished off the last of her snack, she made her way back to the Lobby in high spirits.

Yet, as she entered, she stopped. Her eyes had landed on someone, a pair of someones. An Inkling and an Octoling, the first with his arm around the second.

That wasn't what caught her attention, however. No...she recognized that Octoling. His head was bare of tentacles, bearing the rounded 'mantle' style instead. That also wasn't particularly unique, but...his face...why did she recognize that face?!