Envy

Tom looked seconds away from killing Corbin, his pale face demonic, contorted in rage. I had to do something.

"Corbin." I said, thinking very quickly, "I'll accompany you to Professor Flitwick's office."

Tom's eyes flashed. "You'll do what, Hermione?" He demanded. His stance, previously relaxed, stiffened imperceptibly. It was crazy how such simple mannerisms stirred a deep fear inside me.

"You fucking imbecile, Hermione." He said dangerously. "What the hell do you think you're doing?"

"Hey man," Corbin interrupted. "Don't talk to her like that."

I grimaced. As much as I commended Corbin for his bravery, this was Tom Riddle, not some average school boy that could be reprimanded easily.

"What is this?"
Tom smiled wickedly, walking toward Corbin slowly. "Do not," He said lowly, "Ever speak to me like that." His smile had vanished within a moment, his eyes flashing dangerously.

Corbin didn't back down. However I stepped forward, putting myself in between the two of them. I was so over this shit.

"Hermione, get out of the way." Tom hissed.

"Hell no. How about you leave Corbin alone, and stop being such an ass!" I exploded.

"Hermione, leave it." Corbin muttered. "Let's get out of here."

"You don't need to tell me twice." I shot Tom a look before turning and walking away, following Corbin up the Hall.

It was beyond my comprehension that Tom didn't pursue us. Corbin and I reached the end of the hall, I several steps behind him, pretending not to be in agony. It was getting easier, perhaps because I was growing increasing more stubborn and I had been through a shit load of pain before.

"What the hell was that?" Corbin dragged a hand through his light brown hair, perplexed.

"Dont ask me." I replied. "Tom Riddle isn't something I could easily explain to anyone."

He is a damn monster I wanted to add, but thought better of it.

"I'm worried about you." Corbin told me, his green eyes serious. "I've heard the rumours about him. He's the most dangerous guy in this School."

"No offence but I really don't need people that don't know a thing about me or what I've been through to be worried about me. I can take care of myself."

"Right." Corbin said. He smiled sadly. "I just think it's devastating that someone like you has to put up with someone like that."

"Someone like me." I repeated. "Tell me, Corbin. What do you know about me?" I turned to him skeptically.

"I've shared almost every class with you for 2 months." Corbin said, staring at me directly. "I suppose I know a few things."

I frowned. I didn't remember seeing him in any of my classes. I suppose that I was too busy being distracted by Tom to notice anyone else.

"I know that you're smart. You get every question right, and know the answers to things the teachers haven't even mentioned yet. You're kind. You help others with their work, although you have no need to."

"A lot of people do that." I dismissed. If that was Corbin's reason to fancy me I was... disappointed.

"I'm not saying I know you." Corbin said quickly. "I'm only asking for the opportunity, if you possibly wanted to... Well, to let me-"

"What are you trying to say?" I demanded.

"I'm asking you, Hermione if you would let me know a bit more about you. I'm intrigued by you. And I know you won't believe me, but I could offer you protection from Tom."