Heroine

To anyone who loves this book I have to apologise. I haven't been writing as often because I've been really down lately. Thank you so much for sticking with this story. I love all of you! I notice all of you. Thank you endlessly.  I've tried to make this chapter a bit longer than usual! I hope you enjoy.

Hermione

The first thing I felt was relief. The spell Madam Rosmerta used to break down the damned bathroom stall door might have obliterated a lot of things in its path but not me. I had escaped. Again. I lowered the Time Turner, placing it beneath my top so no one would notice it. With two shaking hands I unlocked the door of the bathroom, stepping into the horror that was only an hour and a half ago. I crept towards the bar where I knew my past self would be just about to walk into the bar with Tom and Claudia.

I paused, hidden well out of sight. I had a clear view of the front door. It didn't take long before I saw Tom come striding ahead of the rest of the group of students making their way up to The Three Broomsticks. Tom came closer, and raised a hand to open the door. He looked around the vicinity seemingly waiting for someone and I stept back further in the shadows happy to be hidden from sight.

It was always eerie travelling through time, I had the most unusual feeling of deja vu. Madam Rosmerta approached, her wide red lipsticked smile dominating her face.

"Tom, my dear. Do come in, it's absolutely freezing outside!" She stepped back as Tom pushed the door open.

"Madam Rosmerta," Tom greeted quietly, inclining his head. "How have you been?"

"Not too bad, business isn't doing too good as of late but that's a discussion for another time. Now, give me your coat and find a seat." She gestured broadly to the room as everyone entered, talking and laughing amongst themselves.

I saw myself standing a short distance behind him looking rather despairing. I remembered just how terrible I felt to be stuck with Tom Riddle when everyone else was enjoying themselves.

"We shouldn't have come." Claudia said rudely. "Just look at the state of the place! It's not very well kept, is it? Who owns the Three Broomsticks anyway?"

I stepped back, rolling my eyes. What I would give to just backhand her across the face. Who raised her to be that rude, anyway? A damn troll?

I paused a few moments, listening to the sound of Tom leading us over to a table. I peeked my head around the corner of my hiding spot, now seeing myself clearly sitting with my back towards the bathroom. My hair was sticking out, I looked a right mess. I raised a hand to the back of my head, all of a sudden self conscious. My hair looked horrendous, I knew I didn't really care about how I looked today but damn. I shook my head, trying to focus. Really? Was I actually going to be worrying about my stupid hair in a time like this? I looked over at Claudia, who was twirling her wand in her hands beneath the table. I froze, watching her. After a few moments, she slipped her wand back into her cloak sleeve. Ok, that was weird.

I looked over at Tom- who I was horrified to find was staring right back at me. It wasn't a trick of the light. We were both staring at each other. Fear sparked within me. Paralysingly present and so tangible I could've felt it in the air. Fuck. Seconds passed. Tom held my gaze, his dark eyes narrowing after a moment.

I gasped, stepping back quickly. I had blown my cover. He had seen me. It was over.

"Ladies," Tom announced from the table. "Drinks?"

I heard Claudia and myself telling him what drinks we'd like. The sound of my own voice spurred me into action.

With shaking hands I reached in my small beaded bag for Harry's invisibility cloak, pulling it out and hastily throwing it over myself. I stepped back until I was wedged in the corner of the small hall right beside the entrance to the girls bathroom. I didn't have time to find a proper hiding place. I took a deep breath. I had to control myself. Tom had seen me. And I knew what was coming. He was going to the bar counter to place the order for our table, and I knew he would most likely be coming over here to confirm his sighting of me since it was on his way.