The Proposal

"This is so beautiful, Ria."

Carol didn't even look at her, but Maria can imagine the smile that spreads across her fair face. That beautiful smile that makes Maria's knees turn to jelly.

You can do this Maria. You had to give birth in a car, come out to your parents; you can propose to your girlfriend.

Standing behind Carol was a blessing. That way, Carol couldn't see how nervous her girlfriend is.

"Thanks for the picture, by the way."

"I wish every place on Earth would be this beautiful."

Maria knew Carol would like it here. She always liked being in the mountains.

So here, in front of the lake, standing on the edge of the mountain, Maria takes a deep breath and goes down on one knee.

"You're weirdly quiet. Maria? "

Carol turns around and freezes. Her brown beautiful eyes are stuck on the ring. A beautiful, simple ring.

"Carol Danvers, will you marry me?"

Maria's voice is shaky, the wind is blowing through her dark black curly hair, but her eyes; oh, her eyes are sparkling. They're sparkling with love and hope.

"Of course I will. Why do you need to ask?" Carol asks between giggles and tears of joy.

"We need a good story, babe."

Carol giggles at Maria's joke. We don't need a good story, Carol tought, we just need each other, dummy.

Maria slips the saphirre ring on Carol's finger and stands up.

Their lips touch into a kiss, sweetened by the love and joy between them.

"I love you."

Carol tucks a strand of hair behind Maria's ear and kisses her cheek.

"I love you too and that's all that matters."

"All that matters."