Ten Months Until The Wedding

"Ramona, will you come and help me choose the cake?"

"How is that even a question, momma?"

Maria giggles as her daughter is running to the door.

She looks at the photo of her and Carol that sits on the table in the living room. She misses Carol a lot. It sucks when she has to leave the city for work, but being a lawyer makes her happy.

If Carol is happy, than I am happy, she tought as she locked the door behind them.

***

"I say chocolate!"

"Me too!"

Maria and her daughter high five each other under the happy eyes of the baker.

"I think you should go with vanilla. It's more sophisticated."

"Mom, she's marrying me, not Beyoncé. Chocolate is sophisticated enough."

Ramona giggles, but that doesn't stop her from taking another bite of the chocolate cake.

"I really think you should go with vanilla. What if Carol isn't that fond of chocolate?"

Maria rolls her eyes and turns to face her mother. She's wearing black jeans and a peach button up shirt. Not that Maria isn't proud of Jackie, but her mother looks way too good for a fifty year old.

" Believe me, she is very fond of chocolate. I should know."

Thankfully, only the baker caught that last part. He gives Maria an amused smile, knowing what she really meant.

"We'll have the chocolate one."

"Awesome. When your fiancé comes back, call me and tell me if there's any special decorations you want."

"I will, thank you."

***

"Hey, babe? How was the cake testing today?"

"We're having chocolate cake."

"Somehow, I'm not surprised."

"Oh, shut up. You know damn well you would've picked chocolate too."

"When you're right, you're right."

"How was the case?"

"It's tricky, especially since our client isn't exactly honest."

"She's there with you, isn't she?"

"Yeah."

"She guilty?"

"Oh, yeah. As sin, but what can you do?"

"Alright, I'll let you get back to work. I love you."

"I love you too."