Chapter 3

Mike was outside RadioShack, waiting for Connor. He'd gone to grab them both a box of doughnuts and he'd taken off on his bike. The road in this part of town was quiet – mainly because of its history of road accidents. Everything seemed to be going great. So far, they'd ordered their tickets on the school website, thankfully Mike still had his suit from his Grandparent's vow renewal ceremony from last month and they'd also stocked up on essentials: hair gel, anti-dandruff shampoo, cologne and even spot-cream.

Mike saw Connor, cycling up the road. He suddenly heard the screeching of tires.

He looked to the left side of the road and saw a red car...

It was the same from his – well – his vision!

That same, clearly drunk driver was cackling away as she sped up the road, regardless of the red light. And Connor was about to cross! Mike felt hot all over and panic suddenly seized him. "Connor WAIT!" Mike screamed.

Without thinking, Mike ran straight in front of the red car – thankfully the drive saw him in time to start slowing down – as did Connor. But not before the car collided with Mike, sprawling him across the hood and cracking the windscreen. Connor quickly dismounted his bike and ran over. The driver also stumbled out, seemingly not bothered by her own actions. Mike's whole body was pulsating with pain as he just laid on the car hood, feeling completely shook. Somehow, he was still conscious. And strangely, nothing seemed broken. How was he still alive?

Connor helped Mike down from the hood, letting him lean on him. Both he and his friend were shaking. "Mike!" Connor yelled "Are you okay?". Mike felt dizzy and short of breath.

"Ah... My head..." Mike stammered. The woman looked at them both, suddenly angry in her drunken state.

"What do you think you're doing? You shouldn't be playin' in the street – that was stupid of you!" She muttered, barely allegeable. Mike suddenly snapped up and looked at her.

"What's wrong with me? What's wrong with you! What the fuck! You were running a red light your stupid bitch!" Mike yelled back at her. The woman just tutted, idly.

"Whatever, I'm leaving!" the woman burbled. Before she could turn around, however, her hands were cuffed behind her back.

"I think not madam, you are under arrest for Driving Under the Influence," A familiar voice said. Mike looked up at the Officer.

"Dad?!" Mike said, rather loudly. Mike's Dad looked at him, now dressed formally with his badge around his neck, though he didn't appear to be angry, he didn't look happy either.

"Michael, I need to take you home, your grandma's waiting for you – she's needs to talk to you," His dad said, "Sorry Connor," he added, acknowledging Connor's presence.

"Grandma's at home? What does she want to talk to me about?" Mike asked, curiously. His dad simply shook his head.

"It's not for me to say," His dad replied. He turned around and dragged the now-handcuffed woman back to his police car.

"Okay, just a sec," Mike replied, he then turned to look up at Connor, "sorry buddy, see you Monday?".

Connor smiled and nodded, "Not a problem pal," he replied, "and thank you – you saved my life!". Mike smiled.

"Well, you save my ass every day at school – just returning the favour," Mike returned, still feeling dizzy, "speaking of favours -," he began. Connor didn't need to hear the rest. He, rather unexpectedly, flung Mike over his shoulder and carried him over to his dad's car.

When Connor put him down, Mike looked up at him chuckling, "that's not quite what I had in mind, but you never cease to amaze me, my friend,". Connor did an over-exaggerated salute.

"Personal Shoulder Cab, at your service!" Connor said. They both laughed loudly. As soon as they finished, Mike got in the car, next to the driver's seat and Connor walked off.

His dad started the engine and they drove away from RadioShack. At least Mike had remembered to get the components he needed.