Chapter 15

Mike and Finn were sitting in the reception of the police station, drinking the worst coffee they'd ever had in their lives. They'd both made their enquiries and Finn's mother had been called in too – apparently, she'd been so relieved that her husband had finally been caught out, that she'd burst into tears the moment she got into the station. "So..." Mike said, finally breaking the awkward silence that the two had been keeping for the past half an hour. "What are you going to do now?" he asked Finn. Finn shrugged.

"I dunno, maybe I'll see if I'm a better player without those dam pills, maybe I'll quit the team for good this time," Finn replied.

"Finn... I was the anonymous tip that my dad got," Mike confessed. Finn looked at him for a moment, looking surprised. Are you mad at me?" Mike blurted out. He couldn't help it. He didn't want to doubt that he'd done the right thing.

Finn smiled at him.

"Of course not Mike," He replied, "You know what? I think this is the first time I've been able to breathe in ages – thank you for giving me that,".

"What about your dad, you gonna miss him?" Mike asked. Finn thought for a moment.

"Honestly... He's my dad. I'll always love him, no matter what, but after everything he's put me through..." Finn said, pausing for a moment, "I don't think he's going to be the highlight of my thoughts for a while,".

"What are you gonna do about all your pals – Bruce and your team?" Mike asked, feeling stupid for grilling Finn with questions, but curious all the same.

"Well, I was never really friends with them, they were more for show if anything – I don't even think I want to be popular anymore – it's not worth it," Finn replied.

"Finn... If you want, Connor and I always have a spare seat at our lunch table," Mike offered impulsively. He could hardly believe himself. Finn smiled at him again.

"Only if you answer me this one question," Finn replied, "how did you know that whole ordeal in the locker room was gonna go down?" Mike bowed his head.

"Let's just say that, recently, a thing happened to me which allows me to learn things in a way that no one else can – it's wonderful but scary at the same time and I don't really know what it is yet – and I'm sorry but that's all I can say right now," Mike replied, looking away.

"Okay, I guess we all have our secrets," Finn said. Mike smiled at him. Enemy turned friend.

It looked as though they both gained something today.

"Michael, it's time to go home," Mike's dad's voice came from behind them. Mike got up from his chair.

"Good because I have something to tell you when we get home – it's important," Mike said. "Take care Finn," he bid farewell to Finn before following his father out to the car.