Chapter 9

Show time! Mike thought to himself. He'd sat on the end of a bench, right by the spilled drink. He had considered clearing it up, but that would lead to social embarrassment for him – apparently taking care of your school in the tiniest of ways made you a goodie-two-shoes. No. He was going to wait for Stacey to come and catch her before she fell. That would leave her without a lunch, but at least she wouldn't be wearing it. Stacey was crossing over from the counter and heading his way. Her foot was just above the stain. And suddenly everything seemed to slow down. Mike, instinctively, caught Stacey in one arm, caught her tray and landed every item of food on it. Without spilling it. Stacey looked at him, smiling. "Wow Mike! Some reflexes," She gasped. Mike smiled and handed her tray back to her. "Thanks – do mind if join you?".

"Sure," Mike replied almost instantly. Stacey sat down beside him and they began eating their lunch.

"So, how's your day going?" Stacey asked him. Be cool! Mike thought to himself.

"Good – nothing special – average Monday," Mike replied, anxiety rising in his chest. He silently took a deep breath to steady himself. "How about you?".

"Well the funniest thing happened in IT class today – my friend Cheryl somehow hacked into Ms Bennet's computer and started typing random captions on the projector board!" Stacey replied, bursting into laughter. Mike followed the suit, if not a little forced.

"What?" Mike chuckled "And Bennet didn't notice?" he asked. Stacey shook her head.

"She didn't realise, until halfway through the lesson, that literally everyone was laughing! She even laughed herself when she finally noticed!" Stacey replied. Mike laughed.

"Well whoever said that humour was an alien concept to teachers!" He retorted. Stacey smiled at him.

"Hey, Mike..." She began. Here it comes! Mike thought. His heart began pounding. "I know this may sound weird – since we don't always talk but..." She shied a little. Mike wasn't losing her now.

"Yeah?" he asked softly goading her into finishing. She smiled sheepishly.

"Do you want to go out sometime?" She asked. Mike almost jumped for joy.

"Yeah sure – Friday night sound good?" he replied. Stacey nodded, eagerly.

"Yeah – the old classics' cinema is showing one of my favourite films at six pm – if you want to go?" She said, shying again slightly.

"You like old films too?" he asked. Stacey like classics too! Could she get any better?

"I love them!" Stacey replied, "which one's your favourite?" she asked.

"This old sixties film – it's called Eternity in a day – have you heard of it?" Mike replied. Stacey gave him a gaping smile.

"No way! That's the one they're showing on Friday – I've always loved it! Ever since I was a kid!" She replied. Yes, Stacey could get better. She just did.

"Really?" Mike asked in disbelief. Stacey nodded. "That's so cool! So, shall we meet up at around four thirty pm – just so we have a little time for dinner – if you want to eat out?" Mike asked.

"Eating out sounds great – I know a great diner a block away from the cinema," She replied.

"Do you mean Penny's Trailer?" Mike asked.

"Yeah that's the one," Stacey confirmed. One million points to Stacey.

"Sounds great! Friday, it is!" Mike said. Stacey smiled and got out her phone.

"Here's my number," She said, showing Mike, giving him time to pull out his own phone and tap the number into a new contact. She then got up to leave, having finished her lunch. "I've got to go – see you later Mike," she said.