Prologue

The cats who left the tribe stared in horror as they watched the hawk carry Bright Stream away. Bright Stream herself had passed out from shock. The queen now hung limp in the hawk's talons.

      Bright Stream blinked her eyes open. She closed them again, as the memories of what happened came racing back to her. Jumping to her paws, she panicked. Where was she?! More importantly, where were her friends, her mate? She turned around only to see the big mountain. That's where they should be? So how did she get down here? The hawk, obviously, but the pain from the wounds didn't hurt. Had she looked, she would've seen that there weren't any wounds.

      Bright Stream sprinted towards the base of the mountain. It felt like she could run forever! It would only take her a sunrise or two to reach the base. But as she ran, it didn't seem to get any later in the day. 

      Finally, she pulled up at the base of the mountain. They hadn't gotten there yet, she could tell. So, she began venturing up the mountain, trotting lightly, cheerfully. She could see her mate soon! And-

     "Gray Wing!" Her ears perked up as she heard the all too familiar voice of Clear Sky. But her mate's voice sounded thick with grief. Well, she knew exactly what would cheer him up! 

      "Clear Sky! Clear Sky!" She called happily as she bounded up the mountain, joy and excitement fueling her. She called his name again as she got closer. But none of the other cats seemed to pay attention to her, not even Clear Sky. By now, she was right next to him. "Cl-Clear Sky?" She mewed, her voice strained. When he didn't respond, she folded her ears back, and hurt, with a bit of a growl, she yelled, "Clear Sky? Hello? It's your /mate/, for the Tribe Endless of Hunting's sake!" Almost choking on tears, it didn't occur to her that she might be part of the Tribe of Endless Hunting. Sobbing, she laid down and curled up in a  ball.

     "Bright Stream... Bright Stream..." Bright Stream blinked her eyes open, waking up to a soft, quiet, kit's-like voice in her ear.

     She jumped up. "Fluttering Bird?! But you're dead! And I'm..." Her eyes opened as realization dawned on her. She looked down. Her wounds were gone. But there was no way that they could've healed so fast. No wonder she didn't feel pain. No wonder she felt like she could run forever. Finally, she began to whisper, though her voice got stronger and louder with each word. "And I'm dead too. No, I can't be! I had a mate! /I was expecting kits/!"

     Fluttering Bird touched Bright Stream's shoulder with her tail. "I know you were," She mewed with a soft smile. Just then, a little kit poked his tabby head out from behind Fluttering Bird. 

     "Hi!" He squeaked. "Are you my mommy? You look like her. Her name is Bright Stream! She seems strong! And pretty!"

     Bright Stream's mouth hung open. "My kit- he's here?"

     Fluttering Bird nodded, grinned. "Yup! But... you were supposed to have two. Usually when an expecting queen dies, /all/ the kits she was carrying come here. But for some reason, one he did..."

     Bright Stream suddenly didn't feel good. "Fluttering Bird... I think... I think..." She whimper, and let out a small screech. "I think I'm still expecting it."

     Fluttering Bird laugh uneasily. "No, no you can't be. That's just not possib..." This time, it was Fluttering Bird's turn to have her mouth hang open.