Chapter 6

Fluttering Bird's eyes widened.  "What do you mean?" She asked, though she knew exactly what the former healer meant.

"What if Broken Rock somehow passes on his sickness to other cats? What if the Tribe of Endless Hunting dies out..."

Fluttering Bird shook her head. "No, no. Once a cat reaches the Tribe, they're immune to all sickness, remember? And all their scars are healed, and deafness and blindness and muteness, right?"

"Yes, but when was the last the time a kit was born here? I'm not sure the 'normal rules' still apply to us anymore. Not while he's still here. Now I'm going to go and check on him. I just hope that he doesn't... I would say die, but I'm not sure that's the right word."

Broken Rock was in a makeshift medicine den in the Tribe of Endless Hunting. Bright Stream and Fluttering Bird were waiting outside worriedly. Fluttering Bird was able to stay still, but Bright Stream couldn't resist the urge to pace, tail flicking. Finally, Half Moon padded out, but her eyes were filled with despair. 

Shaking her head, she mewed, sounding defeated, "He has greencough. I don't know what to do. I could give him catmint, but I think he's beyond saving..."

"No!" Bright Stream shouted with such a force that the trees shook. "You're lying!" She shoved her way past Half Moon, entering the den. "Broken Rock! Broken Rock! Oh my kit, my Broken Rock! Are you okay?"

Broken Rock nodded as he coughed. "Y-yes," He gasped weakly. Bright Stream bent down to nuzzle him.

"Oh my little pebble," She murmured sadly. "You're going to get through this, I promise... I'll find some catmint for you. Even if Half Moon as given up on you I never-"

He shook his head as he broke out into coughing again. "Half Moon is probably right."

"What?! No! Broken Rock, I will not let you talk like that!" Bright Stream took a step back, mortified at her kit's words. 

"Well, soon you won't be able to do anything about how I talk," Broken Rock pointed out.

Bright Stream glared at him. "Broken Rock, do NOT give up hope! Don't die, not now!"

"Well maybe I won't die," He mewed, shrugging. "Because technically I am where dead cats are and so I'll just come to life instead."

"Argh I just- Broken Rock that's not what I meant."

Broken Rock sighed. "Just... just call me-" He began coughing again. But this time, he wasn't just coughing - he was coughing up /blood/.