Chapter 3

Fluttering Bird winced. She could hear the final thing that Rock - or, apparently, Broken Rock - said. "I swear one day I'm going to kill them all!" His yowl rang across the Tribe of Endless Hunting's hunting grounds. Fluttering Bird knew exactly who Broken Rock was referring to.

"Should I go try to calm him down?" Fluttering Bird ask worriedly.

Half Moon just shook her head. "No, it wouldn't do any good, would it? He's angry enough already - confronting him will just fuel his anger."

Fluttering Bird sighed. "I suppose you're right. But we certainly have our hands full with him. At least his brother is calm."

"His brother," Bright Stream cut in, "Doesn't have to live with the fear of... well, not knowing if he's going to die, or live, or just keeping getting older in here forever or..." Bright Stream's eyes widened in panic. "Wait!"

"What?" Half Moon asked nervously. At the same time, Fluttering Bird mewed, "Bright Stream, are you okay?"

"Yes, yes I'm fine! But Half Moon, what happens after Tribe of Endless Hunting cats fade, or are killed somehow?"

"They just, disappear forever, why?" Half Moon responded, tilting her head.

"What if Broken Rock is just going to disappear forever? What if, by being born here,  he just skipped living in the living world forever, and instead will just die here and..."

Half Moon's eyes widened. Fluttering Bird shook her head. "No, no. It doesn't work like that..." 

But it sounded like she was trying to convince herself more than anyone.