07: 《Errands》

Saturday, Present day》

No bad deed goes unpunished. Hence why Noah became the day's errand boy.

"Noah, could you order this for me?" Said Himeko, referring to a brand of wine she just found in a magazine.

"Noah, could you get me Cafe Homu's Special of the Day?" Said Theresa reading a thin book with a colorful cover.

"Noah, here's a list of things we compiled that the dorm needs today. Could you get these in the city?"

And so the boy soldiered off on his own into Soukai city by bus--the same city that they had saved a few days prior. He arrived two hours later in the commercial wearing his freshly-washed uniform, though unbeknownst to him, the sight of a Valkyrie in the streets was like seeing a soldier among the people; a sign that the times weren't safe and that the Honkai always lurked right around the corner. Crowds would part or step away from him if he approached, but none would try to mock him or show disrespect, for the knew that the Valkyries were the bastion keeping their lives away from disaster.

Besides, the incident the other day was still fresh on their minds. No one wanted to be caught unaware by another flying Honkai Beast crashing through skyscrapers.

Well he was just out for groceries, so these didn't matter to him.

He went into the first store, a bar tucked into a basement at the end of a street. Danielo's, it read. A knock he made was answered by a waiter around his age, an acne-ridden adolescent with brown hair thick with wax and a vested formal attire. The working boy's eyes widened at the sight of him.

"Boss, we've got another Valkyrie at the door!" He said, voice still high and had traces of an accent.

The reply was a little hoarse. "Let 'em in."

The waiter stepped aside to let Noah in. It took him a second to adjust to the darkness. The bar was cool room able to host around forty people. Only a few hanging lights served as illumination, giving off a warm glow. The walls were made of wood and decorated with pictures of what seemed to be anniversaries of the establishment, a testament to the bar's history. To the right was the counter and behind it was a man with grey hair, though he stood tall and proud as he cleaned another wine bottle from the display behind him. There was a door to the tender's right and a square tv to his left.

Then the soldier trained his eyes on a girl leaning against the counter. She also sported a barely altered female Saint Freya uniform, which was the grey double-breasted jacket and black pleated skirt. Her hair was black with white tips, and her eyes were the same shade as his, a warm yellow. Her expression was as neutral as his emotions.

"Did Himeko send you?" The bartender asked, bringing the boy back to reality.

"Yes sir."

"Figured as much. This one was sent by Henrietta."

Henrietta was Ms. Frideswide's little-known first name. Noah would have been a bad Valkyrie if he didn't know the names of his superiors. Kiana's face came to mind.

"The order?" Said the owner.

"Delamotte Blanc de Blancs Brutte," he replied.

"She really does know when I have discounts..."

The man disappeared to the back of the shop. Noah was left with the girl who reminded him of a mirror. Surprisingly, it was she who spoke first.

"Good morning Mr. Arkos," she said, now standing almost next to him.

"Good morning too. Miss," he replied.

"Jenny, sir. B-rank under the wing of Ms. Frideswide."

Noah nodded. "Acknowledged."