08: 《Conviction》

《Sunday, Present Day》

It was a beautiful day outside.

The sky had a few clouds and a cool breeze would pass through the campus. Birds sang as if to greet the sun and the flowerbeds all around bloomed to greet Spring. Everything teemed with life and greenery in Saint Freya.

Noah and Mei stood ten feet apart on the adobe surface of the training plaza. They were dressed in their battlesuits. Mei's armor was undamaged and cleaned in contrast with Noah's, which still sported the hole left from the time Kiana shot his shoulder. At the very least, the blood, dirt, and shrapnel had been washed off.

The boy looked at his sword.

A relic that came from the same ruin as him. The whole weapon was white--blade, guard, grip, and pommel. A small ship insignia marked the base of the blade, the same insignia as the tattoo on his back. Even from all the fights he had been in, there wasn't a single scratch or nick on the blade, its edge seemingly perpetually sharp. It has an uncanny ability to cut through Honkai-infused flesh like butter.

"Are you ready?" his opponent asked.

The boy faced her, his expression unreadable. Silently, he brought his blade to his right and nodded.

Bronya was the referee for the match. She sat on a bench just outside the barrier of the plaza with a Homu plushie pressed against her chest. Kiana was a little ways to her left, dressed in a white cheerleader costume, her pom poms going up and down as she chanted her senpai's name. Himeko was there too, but she was all-in to just watch.

Bronya coughed to garner attention. "Start the match."

Fast!

Mei was before Noah before he could even blink. He thought he'd be able to relax as his body was familiar with all the movements of sword fighting, and as he parried her quick first strike, he quickly threw away the notion. He swung to counter her, missing by a hairsbreadth as she moved outside his range.

Their eyes locked. Hers seemed to say do not underestimate me.

The boy fixed his grip. Then he suddenly darted left, making the swordswoman move in response.

Her eyes then went wide as she barely put her sword in the path of his blade. It was a feint; Noah barely moved at all. He pushed the attack, forcing the girl to block every single one. Five strikes in a span of two seconds. She pushed the last attack high and swung.

The boy suddenly twisted, dodging her sword in the process. His blade followed soon after.

Again, she dodged, centimeters from being cut.

Noah felt something wet on his cheek. A touch from his left told him it was blood.

"Eyes on me."

He blocked another blow. Then he suddenly felt a kick on his stomach and stumbled back. When he looked again, there were now two Meis. He grit his teeth.

Both opponents moved in from either side at the same time. Both pairs of eyes widened as the boy swung his sword while shattering air, knocking them back. The fake dissipated as the real one tried not to fall on her back. The boy moved, blade falling.

Her eyes sharpened. It was the same strike he used at that time. When she first saw it, she felt a sense of dread. His killing intent was true. But this one...

"Weak."

She deflected it, no, reversed it. Mei moved into the opening for a thrust, but his sword was suddenly back and pushed her away.