Born of Quest - Isabella

A short Story

~~~

Long ago, in a small village called Olsan, a redhead named Isabella lived with her financially famished parents, Dahlia and Dwight Redstone. Isabella and her mother's thoughtful and caring nature drew people close to them. Thus, she claimed hand-me-downs from fortunate families even though their children protested at the idea. Even she, Isabella detested it but more than that, she was grateful.

At age twelve, Isabella was skilled like a hardworking housewife. Her mother was often busy working a double shift at the small diner around the corner, and her father barely spent time at home. Instead, Dwight traveled far and wide trying to prove his father's theory of a legendary black book.

Isabella was the school's bully victim but she didn't stray from her dream of one day becoming a princess or at least moneyed enough to live like one. "I'm going to become the most elegant and thoughtful princess ever to walk the land, Miss Maria," She told her teacher right after complaining about being called a raggedy rat by her mate, Jasmine.

"Oh, yes, you pretty little pumpkin," Miss Maria replied giving her a tight hug and a kiss on her right cheek, "And when you marry your handsome prince you remember that the words you say, they fly away." With that, Miss Maria ushered her off to lunch.

She skipped off to the lunch table outside and pulled out her homemade sandwich from her backpack. Her face sulked as she looked up and noticed the other kids eating their hot meals and drinking milk. "I wish I could afford to buy lunch every day too," She mumbled to herself, not realizing a junior girl occupying the seat next to her.

"I'm Gloria," The blue-eyed girl chirped, outstretching her hand for a shake. "I'm new here, I just moved today," She continued.

"Hi, I'm Isabella," Isabella greeted, grabbing Gloria's hand and smiling at her supposedly new friend. "You're new?" She questioned, forgetting that Gloria already established that.

"Yes, I moved from Asugem, two villages away, because my mom got poor since dad died," Teardrops filled Gloria's eyes, and before they could fall Isabella engulfed her in a tight hug.

Unaccustomed to hugs from strangers, Gloria Stiffened at Isabella's grasp but returned the embrace after hearing Isabella's friendly advice, "Hey, you're not poor. My mother always says as long as you are rich in your heart you will never be poor." They exchanged genuine smiles and resumed nibbling their sandwiches. Soon after they finished a blonde Jasmine and her brunette friends appeared.

"Hey, raggedy rat I see you found yourself a raggedy mouse," Jasmine pointed out, smirking in triumph and as usual, Isabella became the laughingstock of the entire school. This time also does her new friend. "By the way, I'm changing out my wardrobe this weekend so you might as well come for my old clothes," Jasmine continued to scrunch up her nose and pinch Isabella's cheek, "You need them," She and her friends mocked loudly.

Not knowing what to say Isabella decided to walk away. She held Gloria's hand and sprinted off but Jasmine's friend Tiffany, jumped in front of them, and on cue, the other friend Kelly poured milk all over Isabella and Gloria's faces.

"Drink up, rats," They all laughed and Waltz to the classroom. Drenched on milk and Embarrassment Isabella and Gloria hastened to the bathroom.

"Is this what you go through every day?" Gloria asked Drying her curls with a hand towel

"Yes, because they give me just about everything," Isabella grimaced with sad eyes.

"Is that why she treats you so badly?" Gloria questioned again, this time facing Isabella.