Lake Eldritch

A short story
~~~

Classes are out and there's nothing on the agenda for hyperactive teens and young adults other than bikini dates at the beach that turn into parties filled with booze and loud music. Then again, sometimes there's that little crew who decides to kick it up a notch and have a lot more fun, camping at a lake in the middle of nowhere.

"Preston we're gonna be late if your spoilt little brat doesn't hurry up," Tracie yells, throwing her hands in the air and walking to and fro the living room space.

"Oh please Tracie," Chris buts in, perking up from his phone. They all knew Camille slept in a little but it's not like they could really be late. No one was waiting for them. "As if we can actually be late."

Micheal and Anabelle remain planted at the dining table, caught up in their world of 4pic 1word. It was quite an interesting game that even kick-started their friendship.

Preston, on the other hand, couldn't care less that Tracie was in a hurry. He had actually made it his duty to tell his beloved, Camille to take her sweet little time. He sat on the stairs throwing his tennis ball up and down. It was a versatile ball and by far his favorite.

After a few more minutes, Camille came from her bedroom with her backpack in hand. "Babe, I'm all set." She tells Preston who jumps to his feet and smiles at her. He admires her casual dressing and caresses her forehead with a tender kiss, before tangling their hands and leading her down the rest of the steps.

"Tracie, I'm sure you would want to be the first one through the door," Preston mocks causing everyone except Camille, to burst into laughter.

"Babe behave," Camille warns her boyfriend who in turn rolled his eyes, not at her, but at his ex-girlfriend, Tracie. "Tracie I know you guys said to be ready by nine o'clock and I slept in, I'm sorry."

Everyone else waved off her apology as unnecessary except Tracie. For the life of Camille, She couldn't tell why this girl hated her since they met.

"Whatever, I'm only letting you tag along because Preston won't come if you're not invited, so save the pretend apology and stay out of my bloody way." Tracie's outburst ceased the laughter and the place went silent as everyone put an extra pep in their step to rid the tension of themselves. Camille looked to her boyfriend with a puzzled expression, but he only shrugged his shoulders and shook his head. He knew exactly why the hate was there, but he didn't want to tell her just yet, or maybe ever.

Tracie and Preston were once the 'couple to be' in town and everyone thought they would last a lifetime but it didn't, and Tracie was too busy hating and judging all of Preston's new girlfriends to see her own mistakes.

After all six of them piled out of the house, Preston locked the door behind him before joining them in the SUV. They had a long road ahead and he had chosen the first turn to drive. Behind him sat Chris and Anabelle and behind them were the notorious Tracie and Micheal who sometimes wondered how he ended up dating her. "Babe, are you sure I have to come?" Camille touches Preston's shoulder from the passenger's side. "Because I feel like an intruder."

He flashes her a reassuring smile and returns his steer to the road. "Bunny I'm not going if you're not coming with me and everyone likes you."

Camille sighs and looks out the window at the different colored houses passing by.

"Don't worry about Tracie, that's just how she is," Preston continues, still not receiving a reply from Camille.

Instead, Tracie's mouth revolted at the sound of her name being called. "Stop gossiping about me."