Lullaby

"Being held by the right person is enough to cure anything"

Rossi POV

The cab pulled up to the hotel and my stomach immediately dropped. I'm not sure why I'm so nervous, it's Alex. I'm not sure if it's because were finally gonna be alone or if it's because I'm nervous about how she may react.

I don't fully remember getting out and walking to her room because next thing I know, I'm standing right outside her door. My hand hovered above the door for a few seconds before I finally knocked.

No one answered at first, but then I heard a small whimper, "Who is it?" Her voice was shaky and I could just tell by her voice that she was hurting.

"Hey, it's me. I wanted to come and see how you were doing," when there wasn't an answer, I slowly started to open the door.

The room was dark except for the small sliver of the moon coming through the window. I could see the outline of her sitting in the side of the bed. A million things were racing through my mind. I walked over and sat beside her. Even though I couldn't see much, I was able to find her hand and place it in mine. When I did, she turned and faced me,

"You didn't have to come you know. Especially after how I left."

I looked down at our hands still intwined, "I could tell something was wrong. I just wanted to come by to see if you wanted to talk."

She slowly looked up at me and I could tell she wanted to, it just hurt too much. I sat closer and pulled her into my arms so that her head was resting on my chest.

"Me and James had a son, Ethan, who died a few years ago. He'd had cancer for about 3 years by then and was in so much pain you could tell he was ready to go," she said quietly taking a break between every sentence,  "Today seeing Reid laying there brought back so many thinkers that I didn't know I was still holding on to. He was so young when he went I know that if he was still here, he would've been just like him."

I could see her wiping away tears and all I could do was pull her closer. "I'm so sorry. No one should ever have to loose a child like that. And Reid's gonna be ok. The doctor came after you left and told us they would keep him for a few days and he would be all set to come home."

Pulling the hair out of her face, I kissed her forehead, "I'm not going anywhere until I know that you are gonna be ok."

Alex POV

As soon as Dave pulled me into his arms, I could immediately feel myself relax. Not even thinking about it, I started telling him everything that had happened. I felt so safe with him I could have told him anything in that moment.

His fingers brushed against my face as he tucked a piece of hair behind my ear. God I wish I could stay like this forever. He kissed my forehead and in that moment I knew. I wanted to be with him.

"I'm not going anywhere until I know that you are gonna be ok."

He said that and I could feel myself sinking more into him, "what would I do without you," I say with a little smile.

"Who knows? It's a good thing I'm here" he said with a chuckle. "How about we rent a movie and get some room service?"

"Doesn't sound like a half bad idea," I say getting up to grab the remote.

Rossi moved over to the middle of the bed so that he could call room service, "What do you want?"

"Surprise me," I say grabbing the remote. I wasn't really sure where I should sit as I was gonna walking back, so I went to the side of the bed. As I was sitting, he turned from the phone and patted the spot next to him, "I won't bite."

-

We'd been watching the movie for maybe 20 minutes when the food came. I was expecting something small, but like Rossi, he must have ordered every thing they had listed. The tray was full of all sorts of desserts, "you have really outdone yourself."

"You've had a rough day, thought it might cheer you up.

I thought the only person who would be able to comfort me with something like this was James, but I guess we've gotten closer than I thought, "I never got a chance to thank you for coming by, it really does means a lot."

He turned and smiled, "I care about you that when I see you like that, all I want to do is make sure that I'm there for anything that you might need. I'll always be there, no matter what.

"Maybe I'm scared because you mean more to me than any other person. You are everything I think about, everything I need, everything I want."