Chapter 4

So there are going to be time jumps in my book. In one chapter you will be in present and then suddenly in another you are in past. This is to help you understand my characters and their story better. To show you what really happened to them that made them turn into these people they are today. So please DO NOT IGNORE THE BOLD-ITALICS AT THE START OF THE CHAPTER. Thank you!
•••

10 years ago

"Help! Somebody please help me! Please. Let me out. I didn't do anything wrong. Please let me go." I sobbed to myself or to anyone who could hear.

I have been doing this since past whole hour. No one heard a single cry. Not until now.

I heard someone's footsteps coming closer to the room I was locked in.

The heavy metal door opened up with loud, annoying voices that sounded like a huge piece of metal being dragged along a rough ground, which was exactly what was happening.

It made my headache worse. I was in no position to complain though.

Heavy footsteps rushed towards me and I could see a silhouette of a man kneeling down in front of me.

There was no light in this room and the only thing making things a bit visible was the light pooling in from the corridor through the doorway.

The guy had his back to the door so I could not see his face.

"Shit! What are they doing to you? Why are you locked in a cage two sizes too small for you." He grumbled more to himself than me. He had a heavy accent. Definitely not English. Maybe Spanish? Italian?

What he said would explain my situation in the shortest way possible.

I was locked up in a cage like box that was so small that I had my knees pressed hard against my chest and was hunched over them, my toes were all bent and I had my head rested on my knees but turned to right side, towards the door, while my hands were tied to my feet. Not a single limb could be moved.

My whole body ached from sitting like this for so long. I knew I would not be able to turn my head to left side for a week, after I get out.

They treat us like animals. Worse than animals.

"Please, let me out. I can't breath. Please!" I sobbed again.

Another thing was that I was suffocating now. I already had my knees pressed against my chest tightly and my neck bent over and on top of that I started crying, none of which helped my case.

"Shit. Fuck. Mierda! Hey, stop crying. Shhh, don't cry. It will make things worse. Listen, I am new here and I am just a guard so I don't have the key of your cage. But my friend can get them for us. He is smart. He knows what to do. He always does. While I get help you calm yourself down, okay?" He rambled on while moving back towards the door.

"No. No! Don't go! Don't leave me! Please, don't go." I started crying all over again because I was scared. I was scared of being alone in this dark, cold room any longer. I was scared because I couldn't breathe. I was scared that he would go out and never come back. It happened once. Not taking my chances twice.

"Wait. No, no, no, dammit. You're crying again. Shhh, what did I tell you? Don't cry! It will make things worse. Alright, fine! I am not going anywhere just stop crying." He came rushing back trying to shush me.

I obeyed and quiet down.

The guy turned a little, letting some light fall on his face which allowed me to see him a bit.