iii. D'ARTAGNAN

yesterday: chapter three

[ 1984. November ]

          MARY-JANE IS ALMOST LATE FOR FIRST PERIOD. She slept at Tina's house, curled up on her bed, still wearing her costume. She doesn't remember much of last night at all, only the parts in which she was watching Steve and Nancy fighting but after that it's pretty a blank space. She's not as hungover as she had expected, which is really just a blessing and a half. After having carpooled with Tina and Carol to school, she runs into the classroom with her backpack clutched against her chest, dressed in some of Tina's clothing ( god bless her ) and blabbering all sorts of excuses to the teacher who doesn't even seem to care.

To her dismay, Billy is in the same class as her this morning. He glares at her as she sits down one row in front of him, wanting to scowl her for last night but he keeps his calm throughout the class, knowing to wait until they're not watched by two dozen other students. He might be dumb but he's not that dumb.

          "Where the hell did you go last night?" Billy demands as they're out of class and MJ is rummaging through her locker to find the stuff she needs for her next one; somehow it's gotten real messy in there in the span of less than a week. She ignores Billy at first, but he angrily slams his hand on her locker. "Do not give me the silent treatment. You do not get to do that." He snarls, pointing a finger at her warningly, but MJ doesn't feel particularly threatened by him and she never has.

           "I slept at Tina's okay? I was tired and I decided to sleep there. I don't get what the big deal is." She shrugs, carrying her books against her chest and she begins walking down the corridor after having slammed her locker shut. Billy follows her.

          "You're my sister and I can't have you just disappear on me like that."

          "Careful there Billy, it almost sounds like you care about my wellbeing." She teases and he rolls his eyes, groaning loudly of frustration. These two always get on each other's nerves with much ease. "I'm just saying, I don't care much about yours so you shouldn't be too concerned with mine." She shrugs before skipping her way to her next class, not caring to stay for his reply.

The time seems to pass so extremely slowly this day. Mary-Jane feels a creeping headache pounding in the back of her head for the entire day and when school is over, that last bell ringing, finally telling everyone that they're free for at least a good like fifteen hours until they have to be back at school again, it's a sweet, sweet relief to finally be able to go back home and rest for a bit.

However, her plan to go back home is crushed as Max doesn't show up in time to get a ride. Billy gets impatient and the chick he's with too. MJ would rather not sit crammed into that backseat if he's going to be bringing that random girl with him too, so she volunteers to go find her stepsister. The two can walk home together, that's much better than leaving Max to walk or skate by herself.